Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger #~1 anyone have any experience of these?

Ruger #~1 anyone have any experience of these?

I took a bit of a gamble and picked up a Ruger #1 B Sporter, 22-250 cal, nice timber, 26" barrel. It looked great and the price was right, based on the collective wisdom of this site, am I likely to have bought a pup or a peach?

Quote Originally Posted by Stover Rover View Post
    I took a bit of a gamble and picked up a Ruger #1 B Sporter, 22-250 cal, nice timber, 26" barrel. It looked great and the price was right, based on the collective wisdom of this site, am I likely to have bought a pup or a peach?
    I have some experience with them. I've rebarreled several No1 and No3 Rugers over the years and owned a few. How accurate it will be is difficult to say. There have been large articles written about accurizing Ruger No1 rifles. Author, Frank d'Haas wrote quite a bit on the subject in the 1980's. The problem -provided the barrel is of a good vintage (Ruger made a run of seriously crap barrels in the 1970's and eighties before they started contracting them out) is the way the foreend attached to the barrel. There have been numerous suggestions to a quick fix; the most prevalent being a small rubber washer around the draw-down screw. A more radical fix is to cut the mainspring hanger for a threaded stud and screw the foreend right to it, leaving the barrel floating. I did this with my .223 heavy barrel No3 and it was a real shooter.

How the Rugers are these days, I can't say. They are a beautiful rifle though, and I do admire them.~Muir

I have one in .243 and I love it!

I have played around with the forend and replaced the trigger with a moyers reproduction of the original Ruger three screw model and now it is sweet. There is a lot of bad press about the number 1's and you'll get a lot of strange looks when you rock up anywhere with a single shot but who cares, if you like and it suits you thats all that matters. On the plus side you'll never forget to take the bolt!!!!

Regards
    Ads

It certainly looks strange in the cabinet same overall length as a 22" barrelled Tikka M690 but with a 26" pipe. From the serial number it is of 1997 vintage so hopefully not a duff barrel. Looks like it has only been proof fired and then just been parked up. I have put a set of Leupold 30mm medium height rings on it an a Hungarian Schmidt 8x56 and it has adequate clearance, ring spacing isn't exactly generous and eye relief is limited by the turret reaching the rear ring. But I can lean into it a little to get a perfect sight picture without shadows.

Stover .
    Talk to Sika98K on here he has one which he has had for many years and loves it .

regards

Kildevil

hi stover the only problems i have found with them is eye relief depending on your choice of scope ,i have 1 now in 6mmbr.

regards
    chris

my shooting bud has a #1 in 22-250 it was his fathers before him is over 20 years old never been re barelled and has had many many rounds threw it and still clover leafs at 100 yards say it all really, mind you the triger is a bit heavy.

I bought a no1 v in 6mm rem last year (gunsmiths own rifle) I intended rebarreling it in 7x57, but after shooting it with factory rounds and then some home loads found it will shoot sub MOA all day.
    I put a leupold vx111 in 3,5x10x40 on it for the better eye relief and despite the extra weight Tend to use it more than anything else in the cabinet, Its great for squirrels at 100yds if you get a good rest, have shot a fallow buck at 250yds as well with it.
    The single shot really makes you focus more.
    (doesnt like bipods though)
    Sinbad.
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

I have one in 22-250, 30mm S&B 8x56, fabulous rifle

I've on in 243, I don't use it much but I do like it. Would agree that it's not too keen on having a bipod on.