Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which European countries allow stalking at night (when itīs dark)

Which European countries allow stalking at night (when itīs dark)

Does anyone know of any European countries where it is legal to stalk, for example deer, at night when it is dark? I am comparing Norwegian law with the legislation in other countries. In Norway you can shoot for example deer or fox as long as the light from the moon, the white snow etc makes it safe and human to make the shoot even though it is the middle of the night. I have already found out that Sweden, Denmark, Scotland and Germany have laws that forbid night hunting.

Thank you!

Mari Andrea

Scotland does permit night shooting under authorisation

regards

Thank you. Yes I read about the rules concerning the authorization in the deer act 1996.

Mari

Quote Originally Posted by HunterGirl View Post
    Does anyone know of any European countries where it is legal to stalk, for example deer, at night when it is dark? I am comparing Norwegian law with the legislation in other countries. In Norway you can shoot for example deer or fox as long as the light from the moon, the white snow etc makes it safe and human to make the shoot even though it is the middle of the night. I have already found out that Sweden, Denmark, Scotland and Germany have laws that forbid night hunting.

Thank you!

Mari Andrea
    If I where you I would contact FACE in Brussels. http://www.face-europe.org/

If they do not have all the answers they should be able to steer you in the right direction.

With 26 countries now in Europe and with hunting legislation delegated to counties by some you will have your work cut out.

Britain allows night shooting of vermin and any one can do it with dogs and guns air rifles etc.

Thank you barongcw.
    I have contacted FACE, sent e-mail to some of the national organization. But it usually takes a while before they reply.

Mari

Quote Originally Posted by HunterGirl View Post
    Thank you barongcw.
    I have contacted FACE, sent e-mail to some of the national organization. But it usually takes a while before they reply.

Mari
    Is this masterpiece you are writing going to be published also in english or only in Norwegian?

Quote Originally Posted by barongcw View Post
    Is this masterpiece you are writing going to be published also in english or only in Norwegian?
    This is my final master thesis in law school, so it will be in Norwegian. The Norwegian government is debating that our current rules should be altered and become more similar to the rest of Europe and Scandinavia. Today stalkers do not have to follow the clock or the sunrise and sunset when it comes to what time of the day and night you can stalk. The law only demands that the stalking is human, and that the game is not subject of unnecessary suffering. So my Master is basically an assessment of weather or not night stalking is inhuman and against the Norwegian law we have today, or weather or not we should change the law.

For now I have not come across any other European country which have similar rules to ours.

Should be an interesting thesis.
    Is Norwegian Law developed in a similar fashion to UK law in so far as its case driven?
    Will your thesis include taking into consideration indiginous rights for certain northern groups in Norway (herders for instance)
    The existing laws requiring a humane approach to the dispatch of deer is sound and I cant see why you would want to begin to incorporate laws from other areas of the world that dont necessarily have the same cultural/traditional approach to deer 'law'. Look what's happening to the UK with the ever expanding footprint of 'Euro'law changing the very fabric of our once proud society.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

i have shot boar and red deer by moon light in poland