Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are hand made knives not as good?

Why are hand made knives not as good?

I have a few hand made knives that lose thier edge and finish when used in the field but my factory stuff last and stay new longer... I use Buck, Benchmade and Puma but the dear kit is useless when used as the sellers say they should?

it's because the factories have the kit to process harder steals and they have the necessary kit to harden the steal. custom knife makes don't necessarily have the kit to deal with or harden steal to 59-60HRC plus... I'm sure it a custom knife maker tried to grind a D2 steal billet into a good knife he will have got through a good few girding belts.

Jase.

Agree - it comes down to the material and practicality of working it.

Handmade though can cover a vast range - Dougster on here sources some superb blanks from people that are basically obsessive, he provides the design and finishes off. Expensive only in a relative term - my RWL34 blade from him has been a work horse for years and variations are dangling from various bits of webbing in Afghanistan etc.

But working such steels isnt fun in even the best kitted garden shed!
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Maybe it's because whoever is making the knife ain't doing it right

Just like there's 'mass produced' and 'mass produced,' There's also 'hand made' and 'hand made.'

I have had 3 hand made knives, 2 from Bob Dozier in Arkansas which I sold to fund my Charles May OSK-1.... the doziers were better than any of the mass produced stuff I have ever come accros, including Falkeniven and the like... the Charles May makes the Doziers look like shop rubbish!

Quote Originally Posted by Grabber View Post
    Maybe it's because whoever is making the knife ain't doing it right
    Correct, I have a few custom hand made blades that hold an edge very well, it is all in the grinding and heat treatment.

Neil.

How much have you spent on handmade stuff? If its less than about 140 for a decent sized one in carbon steel and less than 200ish for stainless I'd not be surprised if its not much good.

To get one for less than the above means either cheap materials, cheap labour or both.

There is cheap tat for sale at every game fair throughout the summer.

Cheers,

Bob

I may be a bit rough on my handmade knives which are heavier than the shop bought but i think a lot are for show and not for go.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    I may be a bit rough on my handmade knives which are heavier than the shop bought but i think a lot are for show and not for go.
    I'd certainly agree with that. There are many that are built to be shelf queens.

An Alan Wood knife in RWL34, made to work.