Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Butler creek scope covers

  1. #1

    Butler creek scope covers

    I like the design, but have now broken 7 Butler Creek Scope covers - 4 eyepiece and 3 objective - all fractured at exactly the same point where the hinge joins the cover at the point where the material is thinnest! They seem particularly fragile in cold weather because the plastic is brittle I suppose. I know they are only circa 5-10 apiece, but it's costing me a fortune for something that should be able to withstand the rigours of sporting use.

    I know there will be plenty of helpful advice about being less clumsy and that they are used by the military - but does anyone else think they are just too fragile for stalking/foxing use i.e. situations where your attention is focussed on the target and not on avoiding damage to a delicate scope cover?

    Have ordered a new one from Deben in the hope it may be more robust....

  2. #2
    I agree and have also broken a few in the same place you are on about.
    If you can get one then a sun shade will stop damage to the objective lense - then you'll only have the eye piece to worry about - that's the best solution i have found so far

    I'll be interested to see how you get on with the deben version

  3. #3
    I broke my last eyepiece cover Saturday morning when it had opened in the gu slip and I was heavy handed in taking the rifle out. Real pain as the rain was lashing down and the lens was very soon covered. I wish they were made out of the same stuff Swarovski made their objective lens covers out of.

    One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

  4. #4
    I got fed up with breaking the Butler Creeks so now just cable tie the bikini style scope covers that came with the scope to the scope tube, works a treat!
    Jonathan

    My Hunting Blog: click here


  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Blareham View Post
    I like the design, but have now broken 7 Butler Creek Scope covers - 4 eyepiece and 3 objective - all fractured at exactly the same point where the hinge joins the cover at the point where the material is thinnest! They seem particularly fragile in cold weather because the plastic is brittle I suppose. I know they are only circa 5-10 apiece, but it's costing me a fortune for something that should be able to withstand the rigours of sporting use.

    I know there will be plenty of helpful advice about being less clumsy and that they are used by the military - but does anyone else think they are just too fragile for stalking/foxing use i.e. situations where your attention is focussed on the target and not on avoiding damage to a delicate scope cover?

    Have ordered a new one from Deben in the hope it may be more robust....

    Are you using the flip open type or the blizzard covers??? I have had a couple sets of blizzard break but the solid black covers are still going strong after 6 years!!!!

  6. #6
    you can always use 'rainex' as for car windscreens,,a bit like zeiss lotutec coating, water runs right off and you have clear vision

  7. #7
    Have a look at accucover for optic.

    They flip right back so you don't often catch them. Mine have outlasted every Butler Creek I ever had.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Have a look at accucover for optic.

    They flip right back so you don't often catch them. Mine have outlasted every Butler Creek I ever had.
    +1

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonher View Post
    I got fed up with breaking the Butler Creeks so now just cable tie the bikini style scope covers that came with the scope to the scope tube, works a treat!
    That is the method I have used ever since I broke my 4th set of Butler Creeks.

  10. #10
    I have broken 2 objective covers in the past fortnight. I sent them back to their customer service department in the hope that they will replace them as the fracture initiates from a flaw at the hinge pin. Meantime I have gone back to the bikini covers that came with the scope.
    Willie

Similar Threads

  1. Zeiss Duralyt riflescopes and Butler Creek flip-up scope covers/Accu Covers
    By western woodsman in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-02-2012, 18:11
  2. For Sale Butler Creek covers
    By KevinF in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26-07-2010, 14:54
  3. For Sale Butler Creek Scope Covers
    By novice in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22-06-2010, 19:12
  4. For Sale Pair of Butler Creek Flip Up Scope Covers....
    By Eyefor in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13-06-2010, 15:32
  5. Wanted-Butler Creek scope covers
    By kernel gadaffi in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-03-2009, 19:04

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •