Butler creek scope covers

Blareham

I like the design, but have now broken 7 Butler Creek Scope covers - 4 eyepiece and 3 objective - all fractured at exactly the same point where the hinge joins the cover at the point where the material is thinnest! They seem particularly fragile in cold weather because the plastic is brittle I suppose. I know they are only circa £5-10 apiece, but it's costing me a fortune for something that should be able to withstand the rigours of sporting use.

I know there will be plenty of helpful advice about being less clumsy and that they are used by the military - but does anyone else think they are just too fragile for stalking/foxing use i.e. situations where your attention is focussed on the target and not on avoiding damage to a delicate scope cover?

Have ordered a new one from Deben in the hope it may be more robust....:-|

I agree and have also broken a few in the same place you are on about.
If you can get one then a sun shade will stop damage to the objective lense - then you'll only have the eye piece to worry about - that's the best solution i have found so far

I'll be interested to see how you get on with the deben version

I broke my last eyepiece cover Saturday morning when it had opened in the gu slip and I was heavy handed in taking the rifle out. Real pain as the rain was lashing down and the lens was very soon covered. I wish they were made out of the same stuff Swarovski made their objective lens covers out of.

I got fed up with breaking the Butler Creeks so now just cable tie the bikini style scope covers that came with the scope to the scope tube, works a treat!

I like the design, but have now broken 7 Butler Creek Scope covers - 4 eyepiece and 3 objective - all fractured at exactly the same point where the hinge joins the cover at the point where the material is thinnest! They seem particularly fragile in cold weather because the plastic is brittle I suppose. I know they are only circa £5-10 apiece, but it's costing me a fortune for something that should be able to withstand the rigours of sporting use.

I know there will be plenty of helpful advice about being less clumsy and that they are used by the military - but does anyone else think they are just too fragile for stalking/foxing use i.e. situations where your attention is focussed on the target and not on avoiding damage to a delicate scope cover?

Have ordered a new one from Deben in the hope it may be more robust....:-|

Are you using the flip open type or the blizzard covers??? I have had a couple sets of blizzard break but the solid black covers are still going strong after 6 years!!!!

you can always use 'rainex' as for car windscreens,,a bit like zeiss lotutec coating, water runs right off and you have clear vision

Have a look at accucover for optic.

They flip right back so you don't often catch them. Mine have outlasted every Butler Creek I ever had.

I got fed up with breaking the Butler Creeks so now just cable tie the bikini style scope covers that came with the scope to the scope tube, works a treat!

That is the method I have used ever since I broke my 4th set of Butler Creeks.

I have broken 2 objective covers in the past fortnight. I sent them back to their customer service department in the hope that they will replace them as the fracture initiates from a flaw at the hinge pin. Meantime I have gone back to the bikini covers that came with the scope.
Willie

Ive had the same issues, broke 3 sets in the past 6months!

Then i found the clear Butler Creek scope covers, so you dont actually need to open the covers unless its pouring with rain. Not as aesthetically pleasing to the eye but does the job far better & hasnt resulted in any breakages yet.

Dale

Ive had the same issues, broke 3 sets in the past 6months!

Then i found the clear Butler Creek scope covers, so you dont actually need to open the covers unless its pouring with rain. Not as aesthetically pleasing to the eye but does the job far better & hasnt resulted in any breakages yet.

Dale

So one assumes that these new clear covers have the same optical qualities as you expensive scope lenses?

If not why bother paying all that money for a good scope when any old cheap Chinese junk one would have obviously been good enough!

I'm intrigued, how do you break them? I've had BC covers on all the scopes I've had over the last ten years, and never broken one. That's a good dozen pairs at least.
I've currently got 5x scopes with BC covers that are all going strong. The only thing I've ever had to do was occasionally centralise the pivot pin which can drift out to one side.

I had one snap at the hinge when I lined up for shot and the peak on my cap caught it, three snapped when they repeatedly sprung open on their own, another decided it didn't want to stay shut anymore and one split up the side after being on the scope for a month or so.

I bought some of the JSR clear lens covers and apart from the hinge pin working its way out of one of them I still have them.

I'm going to buy some of the soft rubber bikin covers next to see if they are any easier to use.

I suggest you search for the very lengthy thread on BC's. It would appear they have changed the plastic type/formulation and the result is they all break. I have a setof original BC's on my Leupold for years, no issues.

I recently fitted a set of Bushwackers on a Meopta and they appear to be OK.

The concencus on here appeared that if you buy new BC's you might as well throw your money down the drain.

D

Back