Zeroing .300Win Mag at 200yds

u32dw

Hi all,

I have recently zeroed my A-bolt in at 100 yds adjusting the BOSS to get a fairly tight group. However when i moved out to 200yds, there is about 2" between each shot. Given that i could be shooting out to a much as 300yds, i would like to get the group as tight as possible. What sort of group size do you guys think would be reasonable at 300 yds? I assume the BOSS can be adjusted to tighten the group at this distance??

I intend using this rifle in my trip to Africa in the next few months and i am obviously keen to get a solid zero before i go out. My thinking for the 200yd zero is that the ( 180gr Barnes TSX ) bullet drop at 300yd with this zero is only 4" as opposed to 11" if i zero at 100yds!

Any thoughs would be great.

Cheers,

Dave

factory rifle, MOA,,sounds pretty decent. if you want sub MOA you may need to tweak your loads or perhaps the rifle just can't do it. could also be your shooting:stir:

I had my .300WM Sako Finnbear shooting a 22mm centre to centre 5-shot group recently, using Sierra SPBT 180gn bullets over 72.5gns of N160 and a CCI 250 magnum primer. At 300 yards it was running a solid .5 MOA. I set it up for a trip to Ireland after Sika stags, so trying to achieve a similar outcome to your African load. Looks like you need to do some tweaking or bin the TSX - I found them a PITA to load for. If you try Partitions, I found they needed to be loaded seriously deep for best accuracy in my .300 (a nod to Grandhubert for the tip) - so much for bullets touching the lands!

factory rifle, MOA,,sounds pretty decent. if you want sub MOA you may need to tweak your loads or perhaps the rifle just can't do it. could also be your shooting:stir:

Could well be my shooting bud!! Guess i should be pretty happy with MOA.

Back