Thread: Stand alone gun cabinet

Stand alone gun cabinet

I have a 3 gun cabinet in a small cupboard which is out of sight and securely fastened with bolts to a structural wall. I am probably going to need another cabinet over this year as I should be getting my stalking rifle, I may well be getting a .17 HMR and the other half wants a shotgun.

There is nowhere else in the house for another cabinet and no room for a larger cabinet in the cupboard.

I have been thinking of getting a cabinet and bolting it to a structural wall in the main living room and then building a "fake" chest of drawers to go over it.

This would mean one cabinet for rifles and another for shotguns so I am covered with the other half having access to the shotgun one, but not the rifle one.

I just wondered if anyone has any experience of doing this and can tell me what the FAOs and COoP think of this option?
    Beretta Silver Pigeon 20 Bore
    Browing X-Bolt Stainless Stalker - 30-06
    Countryside Management Diary - http://www.leagueofwrath.co.uk/cmblog/

Hi

I've done the same around my cabinets. One used a Ikea one door wardrobe, didn't put the back in and it fits a large cabinet. The other I used a waist high cupboard to fit two breakdown cabinets. If you want some piccies pm me and i'll pass them on.

Or you could spend BIG bucks and buy a ready made one - have a look at British Antiques, i think it is, but personally i'd rather put that sort of money into a gun

atb

scrun

Quote Originally Posted by scrun63 View Post
    Hi

I've done the same around my cabinets. One used a Ikea one door wardrobe, didn't put the back in and it fits a large cabinet. The other I used a waist high cupboard to fit two breakdown cabinets. If you want some piccies pm me and i'll pass them on.

Or you could spend BIG bucks and buy a ready made one - have a look at British Antiques, i think it is, but personally i'd rather put that sort of money into a gun

atb

scrun
    Excellent, thank you - I was thinking along similar lines, get some drawer fronts and sides to go round it and make it look decent, mount the drawer fronts on a recessed door at the front so it's easy to get to the cabinet but not easy to see it isn't a chest of drawers.

Yeah, I had had a look at the rather nice ones you can buy from some cabinet makers, but yes, I would rather spend the 1500-3000 on a rifle!

Have a look on ebay for a suitable cabinet. I got a cheap Victorian type one and didn't have to do too much to it to make it work. I could see all sorts of problems making something up, that didn't have an allen key and schematics - at least in my case

Have fun

Scrun

Attachment 12922Attachment 12923This was my effort, if I recall there was about 50 of timber, and a bit of DIY but I was very happy with the result, only problem was when I moved house I laid it out in the back of my car and it did rather look like I was transporting a coffin.......got some funny looks!

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    This was my effort, if I recall there was about 50 of timber, and a bit of DIY but I was very happy with the result, only problem was when I moved house I laid it out in the back of my car and it did rather look like I was transporting a coffin.......got some funny looks!
    That's almost exactly what I had in mind! Thanks for posting the pics