thoughs on this scope

User00003

http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/543/102672/swarovski-z6-1-7-10x42-rifle-scope/

would this not be the ultimate scope for my 30-06, use being: 70% Red Deer on the hill, 20% summer Roe deer (taller grass, etc.), 5% pigs, 5% african game?

I'm thinking the 1.7 is low enough for close shots on driven boar and close woodland/highseat shots, yet the 10x42 is good for a long shot on the hill or in africa for kudu or gemsbock, etc.

any comments or other suggestions?

May well be perfect. I have an older PH 2.5-10x42 on the 06 and I love it. Had it on my 260 for some time, might move it back there.

If you can live with a plex reticule rather than a 4a, MacLeods has these on sale at £895.

I am coming to think smaller and simpler is better on a scope. A bog old pig of a 50 or 56mm scope can make a rifle very top heavy.

Oh no, just noticed the big brother 2-12x50 has the ret with the distance bars under the cross-hair....would 2x be too much for driven boar?

........would 2x be too much for driven boar?

Not at all. Any time I have been boar shooting, I have cranked up to around 2.5X, find that works for me. With a 1.5x, I find I see too much of the barrel in the scope and that is a little off-putting.

I have the 2-12x50with the TDS, bought it from Gregor over a year ago. It is an excellent scope, currently on the 260. It might make the rifle a little top heavy for running boar. Might work well though, down to your personal preferences really.

hi pkl i take it your not wanting me to keep the little zeiss any more for you as i said i would ???

regards
chris

http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/543/102672/swarovski-z6-1-7-10x42-rifle-scope/

would this not be the ultimate scope for my 30-06, use being: 70% Red Deer on the hill, 20% summer Roe deer (taller grass, etc.), 5% pigs, 5% african game?

I'm thinking the 1.7 is low enough for close shots on driven boar and close woodland/highseat shots, yet the 10x42 is good for a long shot on the hill or in africa for kudu or gemsbock, etc.

any comments or other suggestions?

I'm sure it's a fantastic scope, but I would pay a few more quid and get the illuminated/red dot version.

Hi Chris,

I sent you a pm a while back saying you should not hold on to it for my sake after all, I assume it's been missed somehow. sorry for any confusion caused! If you 'have' held on to it for me then I apologise, at that point I didn't realise I was going to strip the rifle down and do a full restoration project on it which takes it out of work until this early summer. It 'can' be I'd still like it if you still have it around, as I don't know if I can afford the Swaro of course, but only time will tell.

I have been thinking a LOT about that musgrave action and stock you have too...would you consider letting go of just one of the actions with no stock and keeping the other as a pair? if so,,,what sort of price?

Back