Thread: thoughs on this scope

thoughs on this scope

http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/543...2-rifle-scope/

would this not be the ultimate scope for my 30-06, use being: 70% Red Deer on the hill, 20% summer Roe deer (taller grass, etc.), 5% pigs, 5% african game?

I'm thinking the 1.7 is low enough for close shots on driven boar and close woodland/highseat shots, yet the 10x42 is good for a long shot on the hill or in africa for kudu or gemsbock, etc.

any comments or other suggestions?

May well be perfect. I have an older PH 2.5-10x42 on the 06 and I love it. Had it on my 260 for some time, might move it back there.

If you can live with a plex reticule rather than a 4a, MacLeods has these on sale at 895.

I am coming to think smaller and simpler is better on a scope. A bog old pig of a 50 or 56mm scope can make a rifle very top heavy.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Oh no, just noticed the big brother 2-12x50 has the ret with the distance bars under the cross-hair....would 2x be too much for driven boar?

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    ........would 2x be too much for driven boar?
    Not at all. Any time I have been boar shooting, I have cranked up to around 2.5X, find that works for me. With a 1.5x, I find I see too much of the barrel in the scope and that is a little off-putting.

I have the 2-12x50with the TDS, bought it from Gregor over a year ago. It is an excellent scope, currently on the 260. It might make the rifle a little top heavy for running boar. Might work well though, down to your personal preferences really.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

hi pkl i take it your not wanting me to keep the little zeiss any more for you as i said i would ???

regards
    chris

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/543...2-rifle-scope/

would this not be the ultimate scope for my 30-06, use being: 70% Red Deer on the hill, 20% summer Roe deer (taller grass, etc.), 5% pigs, 5% african game?

I'm thinking the 1.7 is low enough for close shots on driven boar and close woodland/highseat shots, yet the 10x42 is good for a long shot on the hill or in africa for kudu or gemsbock, etc.

any comments or other suggestions?
    I'm sure it's a fantastic scope, but I would pay a few more quid and get the illuminated/red dot version.
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

Hi Chris,

I sent you a pm a while back saying you should not hold on to it for my sake after all, I assume it's been missed somehow. sorry for any confusion caused! If you 'have' held on to it for me then I apologise, at that point I didn't realise I was going to strip the rifle down and do a full restoration project on it which takes it out of work until this early summer. It 'can' be I'd still like it if you still have it around, as I don't know if I can afford the Swaro of course, but only time will tell.

I have been thinking a LOT about that musgrave action and stock you have too...would you consider letting go of just one of the actions with no stock and keeping the other as a pair? if so,,,what sort of price?

hi mate i have not a clue where the email went probally my error anyway pm sent.