Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bipods and point of aim??

Bipods and point of aim??

Hi everyone.

Dont know if this has been discussed before or if this is the right section.

Im told and have seen, that fitting a bi pod will change point of aim?

Now using a Harris bi pod on a good non bendy stock i fail to see how this works, if the barrel is floating

and the stock/ for-end doesnt flex, why should the point of aim change.???

Thanks.

Nik.

As far as i know (but prepared to be corrected), point of impact will change only if barrel is affected by stock touching. If as you say your stock is stiff enough for the barrel to remain free floating then I agree that POI should be the same.

Not quite true folks. Due to the difference in the way the rifle is supported especially on hard ground the rifles jump is effected free floating or not. It the same reason you never rest the stock directly onto a hard surface... It effects the jump of the rifle.

Nik. As you shoot better, you will start to see the differences that different positions and supports introduce into the point of impact. In this target that I shot some time ago, I can identify 4 pairs of shots, shot from 4 different positions. I went forward and marked the target after each pair of shots. Prone with bipod first, then off the elbows, then sitting with the bipod and finally standing with 4 sticks. All shots at 130yds. Note that all would have killed the roe deer, although if it had been a roe deer, I would have hit higher in the chest.

Regards JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 22-02-2012 at 18:37. Reason: explanation

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Not quite true folks. Due to the difference in the way the rifle is supported especially on hard ground the rifles jump is effected free floating or not. It the same reason you never rest the stock directly onto a hard surface... It effects the jump of the rifle.
    you are totally correct i have done it and have seen this happen that is why i only shoot of sticks now.

regards
    chris

Shooting with my .270 the biggest difference is between prone and standing. Standing with sticks can be 2.5 - 3 inches higher than a prone shot at 100 meters. Its unlikely that the POIs from different postitions would be outside a 4 inch circle but any stalker with respect for their quarry should spend time on the range making note of these differences.

Hi

I realise that some shots are not as stable

But I'm talking about a 3 shot group clover leading off sand bags

And a 3 shot group touching, off a bipod prone and the groups

Being about an inch differant in elavation and windage.

Ah, i see.

The changes take place in the whole harmonics of the rifle and whichever
    Aid you are using, so to speek???

Yes if you alter the resonance like try shooting off the bi-pod off the soft earth and then off a hard board or concrete. You will likely notice a shift in POI. Not all rifles seem to be effected like this but enough are that you need to suss out if your is or not. One reason I am not particularly a fan of Bi-Pods even though i have one or two of them kicking around ................................. I think. One is on a rifle in storage the low one but there was a high one to be used sitting somewhere. Hmmmm better go see if it's still here or did it go walkies last April?

If you think about it, the rifle will start to recoil as soon as the bullet starts to leave the case. How the rifle recoils will be dependent upon how it is held / supported etc., and also on the mass of the recoiling rifle / human body (and your body and how you hold the rifle also makes a difference - a rifle set up for a 12stone left hander, shots differently for a 15 stone right hander). If there is any upwards or sideways movement in the recoil (which there is) then the position of the muzzle will be different when the bullet leaves the muzzle, hence a different point of impact. In practice, with most high velocity low recoiling calibres, the difference in practice doesn't make a lot of difference. As JCS showed above - they are all dead deer. Bt it becomes a big difference as ranges get longer etc.

With heavy recoiling rifles, in particular double rifles, how they are held makes a big difference to where they shoot.