Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Method of graloching, level 2 and deer species

Method of graloching, level 2 and deer species

Dear all,

I was demonstrated to how to do a level 2 gralloch on a Roe and on questioning if i would use the same method on a bigger species, it was explained that I should do a suspended gralloch. This intrigues me as I happen to do more stalking on the hill than on low ground, and generally speaking, there aren’t any trees to do said suspended gralloch. I watched with interest as the chap whipped through the Roe with speed, but is the same method employed on red hinds?

Also, Best Practice..according to whom and how is this arrived at?

Regards

Wills

Brooklands Holiday Apartments in North Yorkshire
    www.visitbrooklands.co.uk

Find us on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brook...71190506238710

It doesn't matter how you do it mate as long as it is clean and hygienic and the animal is fit to enter the food chain. In fact, it doesn't even have to be fit for the food chain as long as you declare it as such (ie. gut shot). Suspended gralloch is the accepted 'best practice' to ensure cleanliness and reduce risk of contamination, but if you can't achieve it then so be it.
    One top tip for roe if you don't have any trees or lifting frame but have a 4 x 4 with a hatchback is to hold the hatch open with your sticks or similar and suspend the animal from the locking catch of the hatch!
    MS

That is a cracking idea, thanks.

Wills

Brooklands Holiday Apartments in North Yorkshire
    www.visitbrooklands.co.uk

Find us on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brook...71190506238710

Only know how to do a gralloch one way be it red or roe. Would love to know how you are meant to do a suspended gralloch on the side of a hill unless you are with someone built like Arnie !

David T,

You only do a green gralloch, with minimal holes, and complete the full gralloch once you have recovered the carcass.

Stan

I have one of David Stretton's excellent hoists, that fit onto a towball hitch. It has lifted Fallow and heavy woodland Reds with no problem. I have never been on the hill but you would need a vehicle to carry it, so probably of limited potential up there. It enables a lone stalker to deal with the largest deer without risk of a slipped disc or hernia. Excellent for woodland or farmland and adjustable for uneven ground.

I have found that if you remove your glider engines you can use the sky hooks to suspend the deer if you have no trees, do dsc you know it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    I have found that if you remove your glider engines you can use the sky hooks to suspend the deer if you have no trees, do dsc you know it makes sense.
    Trouble with that is Taff you would then need a set of skirting steps to reach safely.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    You might need some left-handed nails to hold it all together as well
    Beretta Silver Pigeon 20 Bore
    Browing X-Bolt Stainless Stalker - 30-06
    Countryside Management Diary - http://www.leagueofwrath.co.uk/cmblog/

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    It doesn't matter how you do it mate as long as it is clean and hygienic and the animal is fit to enter the food chain. In fact, it doesn't even have to be fit for the food chain as long as you declare it as such (ie. gut shot). Suspended gralloch is the accepted 'best practice' to ensure cleanliness and reduce risk of contamination, but if you can't achieve it then so be it.
    One top tip for roe if you don't have any trees or lifting frame but have a 4 x 4 with a hatchback is to hold the hatch open with your sticks or similar and suspend the animal from the locking catch of the hatch!
    MS
    I use a tow-ball mounted bike rack a la

http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/shopping/Behind-the-Tow-Ball-Mounting-3-Bike-Rack.php

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).