Thread: swaro binos vs swaro scopes

swaro binos vs swaro scopes

ive recently purchased a set of swaro 10x50 slc's and im really impressed buy there low light ability especially buy how much better they are compared to my s+b 3-12x50 scope which obviously isnt shabby but has got thinking are swarovski scopes as good as there binos and if so what would be on par with my slc's i must admidt im a bit confused buy it all ive seen all sorts of models pf, z5, z6 ect but ive now idea what they relate to

the first thing i said when i got my scope and binos was that the binos are much clearer

SD Regular
    I can understand the model confusion. In essence then, Z(x), where (x) is the power of the zoom. So in Z4, you'll get 3-12 for example and in Z6, 2-12 etc. The higher the zoom, the more expensive the scope - but I doubt there's a difference in glass quality. PF models are now discontinued, but these are fixed mag scopes. Other denominations are older versions of the the same - PV for example was the old variable range. Oh, an 'i' after the number means an illuminated reticle (and more money!) In terms of what will be equivalent to your SLC's, the answer is any of them really - the bigger the obj lens, the better the light gathering capabilities - but remember the obvious here - bino's use two eyes and scopes one to rationalise pictures, so don't expect to get a scope as good as your bino's - but you won't be disappointed in their light gathering capabilities.
    Last edited by Eric the Red; 22-02-2012 at 21:37. Reason: smelling
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Got a doe quite late on Saturday evening. Easy enough shot. The scope was set at 10 like my bins and didn't notice any difference between them. But like Eric said, the fact that both eyes are taking in the image through bins will make it appear clearer than the mono view through a scope.

S&B is good glass like you said, they have some excellent innovations in the PM2 range etc, but i don't think they or many others quite come close Optically to Swarovski. Peoples eyes are different though mate, so it'd be well worth your while trying a few different ones to see how they fair against your bins. Do you know any boys or girls sporting some Swarovski scopes that you could do a go compare on?
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    PF models are now discontinued, but these are fixed mag scopes.
    They are still available but made to order now.

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    ive recently purchased a set of swaro 10x50 slc's and im really impressed buy there low light ability especially buy how much better they are compared to my s+b 3-12x50 scope which obviously isnt shabby but has got thinking are swarovski scopes as good as there binos and if so what would be on par with my slc's i must admidt im a bit confused buy it all ive seen all sorts of models pf, z5, z6 ect but ive now idea what they relate to
    Hi sir-lamp-alot,
    A bit of an unfair comparison, 1 eye versus 2 eyes.
    Set your scope on 10 x Mag to get it the same as the binos then look through both items using only 1 tube of the binos, a fairer test I think,
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    I can understand the model confusion. In essence then, Z(x), where (x) is the power of the zoom. So in Z4, you'll get 3-12 for example and in Z6, 2-12 etc. The higher the zoom, the more expensive the scope - but I doubt there's a difference in glass quality. PF models are now discontinued, but these are fixed mag scopes. Other denominations are older versions of the the same - PV for example was the old variable range. Oh, an 'i' after the number means an illuminated reticle (and more money!) In terms of what will be equivalent to your SLC's, the answer is any of them really - the bigger the obj lens, the better the light gathering capabilities - but remember the obvious here - bino's use two eyes and scopes one to rationalise pictures, so don't expect to get a scope as good as your bino's - but you won't be disappointed in their light gathering capabilities.
    Without getting into all of the technicalities, please remember that with some variable power riflescopes the objective lens may differ through magnification. ??? This is called effective objective diameter, so as an example a 3-12x56 (I use this size only because this size is mentioned in the post, not directed at any specific manufacturers) may only have an effective objective diameter of say 54mm at a certain magnification (not the 56mm). Some scopes however do offer the full objective diameter through the entire magnification range, it depends on the optical design. Binoculars will have a full objective diameter at a given magnification (10x56)

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    if you would like to take a trip over the border your more than welcome to have a look through
    some swaro scopes of mine regards pete .

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JabaliHunter View Post
    They are still available but made to order now.
    I'm afraid this isn't the case - they've stopped manufacture. There is some residual stock in the market, but nothing from the factory.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Or if you want to stay in Wiltshire come and have a play at the range with some!

HME

Welcome to Corinium Rifle Range