Reboring a barrel

jimbo123p

I know it is a long shot but I noticed a .17 sako75 varment barrel (nearly shot out) Would it rebore for a .223, new bolt mag Jim

Yes it can be done the bore would have to be precisely reamed and a 224 cal liner fitted, IMO the cost involved would be substantially more then having a custom barrel fitted even if you could find some one to do it.

Ian.

Actually there is not need to use a liner as the barrel can be bored and re-cut to a larger calibre. Used to be quite common but try finding someone who will do this now. A friend in the US has had a couple re-bored to a larger calibre on well worn barrels.

have a chat with lee at border barrels, I am sure if it is feasable to do he would be the man to get it sorted for you in the UK

Dave

have a chat with lee at border barrels, I am sure if it is feasable to do he would be the man to get it sorted for you in the UK

Dave

Just be sitting down with a stiff restorative drink to hand for when he gives you the price ;) .

You will need it :thumb:.

Just rebarrel the rifle. I have found rebores to be an iffy thing. Some good, some not. In the end, you are still going to need to have the rifle chambered and headspaced ("fitted") so why not make it easy on yourself and just get a new barrel?? It will be cheaper and you'll probably end up happier with the results.~Muir

Ahhh Muir,

In the end, you are still going to need to have the rifle chambered and headspaced ("fitted") so why not make it easy on yourself and just get a new barrel??

You forgot this is the UK when re-bored it will have to be proofed as well for the new calibre and chambering ;) . Of course if the smith doe not enter it on to his ticket but that not legal and this is a grey area unlike cutting muzzle thread this alters the whole barrel. The smith could not hand it back and sign it onto the owner certificate with the new calibre and chambering without having it proofed. The owner would have to get a variation for the new calibre and chambering too.

Back