Thread: Advice needed for rifle choice

Advice needed for rifle choice

Been looking at a couple of cheap rifles for range use,but can't decide which is best?? First one is the little Mauser Karbine with original woodwork etc and converted to 7.62 the second is an Enfield mkIV Enforcer Style also in 7.62 But which would you say was the best bet for mostly 600 yard shooting with occasional 1000 yard days. The Enfield has the much heavier barrel as well as it being longer.But the Mauser is of course legendary for its accuracy.Would there be a lot of lost velocity and much more muzzle flash with the little Karbine??? or would it not make much difference??
    Any pros and cons would be welcome.
    Thanks.
    Graham.

Go with the Enfield enforcer. it was used by tactical police shooters up until about 15 years ago. In 7.62 you really need a 30" barrel to stay supersonic at 1000 yards. I think the carbine would proabbly be struggling. Both fine at 600.

The Mauser carbines are not the most pleasant rifles to shoot much on the range. The Enforcer/Envoy/L42/T4 type would with a Monte carlo type butt be much better.

The other thing to keep an eye open for is one of the Musgrave, Sportco 44, Konnesberg, Carl Gustave CG63 or Parker-Hale 1200TX they are often to be found quite reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenjames View Post
    Go with the Enfield enforcer. it was used by tactical police shooters up until about 15 years ago. In 7.62 you really need a 30" barrel to stay supersonic at 1000 yards. I think the carbine would proabbly be struggling. Both fine at 600.
    Yep thats my thinking Too and I had almost made up my mind anyway but there may have been something I was misssing.Cheers to all who answered you thoughtsare well apreciated.
    I am off to put the money on the counter now for the Enfield. May as well have a few shots while I am at the range too