Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pine Martens and capercaillie

Pine Martens and capercaillie

Just seen this link this morning and once again the SNH seems to have there blinkers on with regards to this situation. I am lucky enough to have quite a few caper where I stalk but Iím sure it wonít be long before the martens move in! What are peoples thoughts on this? Should we have control measures in place for the martens in areas where caper are present?

BBC News - Pine marten fear for capercaillie

David

Leave my brethren alone. We're just misunderstood.

Redlab Both are very beautiful animals and there is obviously a problem about coexistence some times nature needs to be left alone.We have changed the landscape beyond recognition and the way we harvest the wild animals dose not leave much for carnivores. Live and let live and if we see the last caper fall we know who to blame.

The pine marten is described as rare, just how rare is it? How often do you guys up north see them?

sounds like the authorities at work..
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Redlab Both are very beautiful animals and there is obviously a problem about coexistence some times nature needs to be left alone.We have changed the landscape beyond recognition and the way we harvest the wild animals dose not leave much for carnivores. Live and let live and if we see the last caper fall we know who to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    The pine marten is described as rare, just how rare is it? How often do you guys up north see them?
    Rare aye right,plenty of them on the go,often see them chasing squirrels,raiding nests and dead on the road

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

I have plenty of them and pheasants around me, in my garden in fact you can never trust them to do what is expected of them

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...ht=pine+marten

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Lots of pine martens round us, if you want capers you really need to kill all the predators that are round about to give the birds a chance, but every place is different, people need to realise that blanket rules for the whole country is crap, every little place needs to be managed by the local folk living there, it could be in the future in one area you might need to kill some deer, in another area you might have to kill eagles, Iam using that as an extreme example of course but it could happen one day, you might have to get rid of sheep or introduce sheep, I love animals and birds but I am getting very unhappy at the way the FC and SNH are looking after our wild life.

Pine martins rare, don't think so they have increased year on year and are now found in the gardens of Inverness.

Bod.

I know I have been filming pine martens and they keep taking bits of bait and dissapearing into the wood then coming back for another small bit, do they hid meat for harder times ?