Thread: New rifle - 284 win or 300wsm???

New rifle - 284 win or 300wsm???

Hi folks, I've a couple of l/h donor rifles (t3 and rem 700) and I'm wanting a new rifle build, a rifle that will do pretty long high seat work, stalking and plinking at targets!!!

I have already got T3 varmint .308, a sako .280, tikka .243 and a AI 300 WM.

It will be a heavy rifle with a manners t4 stock and as always Dave at Valkrie will build it, just can't pick between the two, like the light recoil and ballistics of the 284, but you can chuck big bullets faster out the 300!!! I fancy a bartlein or kreiger fat varmint barrel, weight not any issue ( I've stalked with my WM which ways 18lb.

If any one has any knowledge of these cartridges it would be a big help, I know these are not some people's cup of tea but it's one of these two, so I'm off out tonite and will decide. Tomorrow with Dave what's gonna happen, many thanks to anyone kind enough to reply, cheers

Mark

You will need a magnum bolt face for the WSM.

284 would give good accuaracy and long barrel life or if your going the mag route then i would go the 7wsm theirs a new bullet coming out from berger 195 hybrid hunitng bullet that would suit a 1-8.5 twist in 7 wsm would be awsome for long range work ,its bc is nearly .8 now that would take some beating

One of my rifles is a Browning A Bolt mk2 s/s in .300wsm with a Jet Z Compact(a light sporting set up). I used for plains game in S/Africa and use it here for deer. I try not to get caught up in ballistic arguements on here. I found it great for long range work using 180gn rounds. The recoil for me was no big deal but everybody has a different take on recoil. Ammo seems to be getting more readily available and all the usual reloading gear is available. I'm only commenting on this calibre because i have experience of it, i cant comment on the .284.

Quote Originally Posted by taylor View Post
    284 would give good accuaracy and long barrel life or if your going the mag route then i would go the 7wsm theirs a new bullet coming out from berger 195 hybrid hunitng bullet that would suit a 1-8.5 twist in 7 wsm would be awsome for long range work ,its bc is nearly .8 now that would take some beating
    +1 if you are going for a new build 7mmWSM is the puppy, Bartlein barrel all the way too.

is .284 more available over there? Can't really find it out here. 7mm-08 would be an approximate though, wouldn't need the magnum bolt face. But of your choices I would opt for the .300 for availability.

the question is how ment rounds befor you want a new barrel .284 will be 3000 plus and .300 wsm 1800 plus
    i shot a .284 and love it 2850fps(but i do have a 32'' tube on it) and it dose well at a 1000 yrd

.300WinMag................. LUVVERLY!.... A buddy of mine did a couple of Red Hinds with this cartridge, at extended range, looked like someone kicked a chair over!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Well folks, after much debate it's a .284, stainless cut rifled barrel by border, stainless t3 action, manners t4 stock bedded up, fluted bolt, thanks for everyone's input, went off the idea of extra cost of mag boltface and shorter barrel life, sure the 7mm bullet from this case will do the deer job just fine as the .280 does it very well indeed.

hi
    if you using the 175gr plus bullet have the reamer made with .175 thraot at least and no more than .200
    luke