is this a good deal??

Parker Hale are always on the cheaper end of the scale, bit if the rifling is in good nick and has a good bit of life left in it then don't see why not. The swarovski scope although it looks older is surely worth a few pounds too. The gun looks like it has seen very little use from the photo on guntrader. I would certainly say it was worth going and having a look at it and shoot it too, only way to find out in my opinion.

Most probably someone has traded it in for something and he is looking to shift it at a price that will get interest and off his shelves. Got to be worth the drive if that's what you want.

well im after a 30-06 as a package if poss. off to newark this sat to see what can be found i know this is going to be there guntrader.co.uk - Cogswell Harrison .30-06 Bolt Action Second Hand Rifle looks like it started life out in africa

Personally out of those two I would be more tempted with the first one. As many people say, its all about the optics. Nothing wrong with pecar but its a swarovski and with the larger objective that makes a difference in low light. Plus the second rifle looks like it has had a hard life whereas the first looks like a much easier one! Again cannot tell till you have looked down the barrel.

Plus the extension to the stock would be enough to put me off the second. Would niggle at me, a lot!

Last edited:
i like my parker and hale i know a few others with them as well all very accurate with the swaro on its a cracking deal ,just check it out ,atb wayne

The PH looks in decent nick. The scope is worth at least half the £450 asking price. Not much risk there.

I woul not touch the cogswell with a bargepole.

+1 The Cogswell looks awful. The PH with scope seems like a reasonable deal but will obviously need to be inspected prior to purchase.

I think, I would have to look very carefully down the barrel of the first rifle before considering a purchase.

Yes the Swaro is worth 250 (ish), but really, who honestly uses 6x42 these days,,,, there are loads for sale because unless youre getting close, youll probably want at least a 8x mag scope.

The rifle, yes it looks tidy, again, only a borescope will truly tell.

30-06 - if your shooting roe, muntjack or CWD, then you may find you lose lots of meat unless you select carefully what bullet you use.

If its Reds, Fallow or Sika, then its an ideal calibre,

Plenty of better rifle set ups availably IMHO for just a little more.

I think personally I would have to think carefully if this scope, calibre combination is ideally suited to ones needs....

but really, who honestly uses 6x42 these days,,,,

The 6 x 42 is a very popular scope, think you will find a lot do. I have stalked with a 6x42 and 8x56, different attributes and useful for different things, eg woodland vs longer range. My .22lr I have a 4x scope on it! Who honestly has a 4x on a .22lr any more! Me! Makes me steadier and more precise!

LOL :rofl: That rifle in the picture is NOT a P-H Midland 2100 at all the Bolt is all wrong in fact it looks more like a M81 classic..This is the bolt on the Midalnd 2100:-

DSCN1145.jpg

Based on the US Springfield rifle. Totally different to a Mauser 98.

Yep checking a P-H catalogue it's a M81 classic.. Offer him less but don't tell him what it really is. If they are too dumb to look properly they deserve to lose out.

For the price I don't think it's too bad a deal, but I'd ask you to consider is it the right calibre for you? I suspect that if you could have chosen and ideal calibre, it wouldn't have been this one.
30-06 is a fine round with enough power for anything on these shores but perhaps a bit too much for the smaller species without careful bullet/load selection.

LOL :rofl: That rifle in the picture is NOT a P-H Midland 2100 at all the Bolt is all wrong in fact it looks more like a M81 classic..This is the bolt on the Midalnd 2100:-

DSCN1145.jpg

Based on the US Springfield rifle. Totally different to a Mauser 98.

Yep checking a P-H catalogue it's a M81 classic.. Offer him less but don't tell him what it really is. If they are too dumb to look properly they deserve to lose out.

Where does the advert claim the rifle to be a PH Midland? The OP asks about a Midland sure, but I see no claim that the rifle in the advert is a Midland, it is described as a P-H 30/06.

Brit, you really are a nasty piece of work. You make constant snide and negative comments on all matter of discussions regarding scopes and rifles which are not to your liking. The only valid opinion is yours?

What an arse.....:zzz:

tad harsh and uncalled for.

but in answer to the original question:
if the rifle is in good nick buy it. if you dont like the scope, sell it.
I did exactly what you are thinking of doing. I bought a fairly battered PH with a Pecar 4x81 for £150.
I sold the scope for £120 and the PH mounts for £40

guarantee you more people use 6x42 than you think and you would get at least £300 for the scope.

as an owner of 2 parker hales I would say even with the scope the price is £50-100 too high in this market.
bet he would drop it to sell rather than have £400's worth of rifle sitting in stock getting older

Expect more in the region of £250 for the scope. I just bought a BSA .243 with a mint Swaro 6x42 on it, the later matt finish steel tube type not the earlier blued steel. Got £150 back on the rifle which was in VGC thinking the money was in the scope, it only made £245 on Ebay and as already stated it was mint.

who honestly uses 6x42 these days,,,, there are loads for sale because unless youre getting close, youll probably want at least a 8x mag scope....

:eek: ehhh, just coughed up my tea on over my desk when I read that!!! what part of the solar system to you come from?

I can't think of a BETTER all-round scope than a 6x42...

Where does the advert claim the rifle to be a PH Midland? The OP asks about a Midland sure, but I see no claim that the rifle in the advert is a Midland, it is described as a P-H 30/06.

Brit, you really are a nasty piece of work. You make constant snide and negative comments on all matter of discussions regarding scopes and rifles which are not to your liking. The only valid opinion is yours?

What an arse.....:zzz:

Oh very sorry yes your right he has it listed as:-

[h=4]Parker Hale .30-06 (DELUX) Bolt Action second hand Rifle (R/H)[/h]

Whoops but then again there is a P-H Deluxe .......................................... but it's an :-1100 Deluxe or Safari Deluxe

RHSbeforecleaning.jpg

That happens to be an 1100 Deluxe in 30-06.

There is not Parker-Hale model that I have found so far in their catalogues of various years and decades that is called "Deluxe" as a moniker on it's own. You would soon point out the errors on an incorrectly listed Blaser or Sako.

It was due to ill-informed or just plain ignorant dealers that I began my search for Parker-Hale information. I was sold that 1100 deluxe as a Safari deluxe, which is clearly is not :cry:, then asking about I was told it was several different models it was not until I came across a P-H catalogue for sale at a Bisley show that I found out which model it really was. The search for more of the P-H catalogues and literature continues ;) .

Of course expecting someone to know what they are selling is rather much and beyond the pale today, or so it seems. If they are not sure what model it is why not say so?

if they do not know what they are selling and under value it that's their tough luck. There has been one P-H wrongly listed and way over priced on Guntrader for months last year. Some one I know was looking for on in that calibre and chambering so we phoned them about it. Told him exaclty what model it was and made a fair offer which was refused............................. OK that's his choice but it was still incorrectly listed months later. They don't care so why should we the customer care if they lose out. It's a two way street my friend.

As for this now that gave me a giggle. Now if your happy with cheaply made plastic bits and being over charged for a bit of fashion bling that's fine by me just don't tell me it's superior because it's new! Because a hell of a lot of the time it's not. It's been designed to be made as cheaply as possible with all the corner cutting that usually entails.

Of course there are those whom I have helped who would disagree with you :smug: so I'll just help when i can and treat your insults for what they're worth ..................................... absolutely bugger all :tiphat:.

i only ask about the midland as i have seen one with no scope for £175 but the one with the swaro glass on it does seem like good deal. Im going to see what there is about tomorrow at newark if nothing gets the blood going then at easter we are in belbroughton (about 5 miles from bromsgrove) will have to slip away then and have a look.

:eek: ehhh, just coughed up my tea on over my desk when I read that!!! what part of the solar system to you come from?

I can't think of a BETTER all-round scope than a 6x42...

:D +1

I often find myself muttering words learned watching "Only Fools and Horses" at moments like these.

Back