RTA despatch calibre

nicholiath

I have .22lr .22 hornet and 30.06. Obviously the 30.06 is the only deer legal calibre however for the purpose of ending suffering at the roadside i would imagine the hornet more than adequate, perhaps safer than the 30.06. Please give me your opinions on this.

.410, very occasionally 22lr if appropriate, never needed nor would i want to break out the .308 at that close range and potentially close to the general public.

If you only have the 3 calibres mentioned and no .410, then the 22Lr would be my choice, more than adequate at close range. I dispatch pigs on a regular basis with my .22lr and they hit the deck just fine, even the big sows.

Tom

If you only have the 3 calibres mentioned and no .410, then the 22Lr would be my choice, more than adequate at close range. I dispatch pigs on a regular basis with my .22lr and they hit the deck just fine, even the big sows.

Tom
Sounds like shotgun is best, I have 12, 20 and 28 so i guess the 28 is looking good!

BBs are idea , pattern test large shot on a head size target and see at variouse ranges its an eye opener

I have .22lr .22 hornet and 30.06. Obviously the 30.06 is the only deer legal calibre however for the purpose of ending suffering at the roadside i would imagine the hornet more than adequate, perhaps safer than the 30.06. Please give me your opinions on this.
I would check if you have a condition for dispatch on you ticket and also insurance ? I have been called out several time by the police to RTA but as my renewal licence has just been in for another .308 to be added. a condition was put on for dispatch as it was not on before. Even though i was called by police ?

you might need a long handle on that if your deer jumps up and runs off

If the shot is put in the right place, a.) He wouldn't run and b. ) you wouldn't really need to dispatch the fella, now would you?

BTW, I was joking about the hammer...:D (feeling a bit of levity this morning...must be Friday)

I would check if you have a condition for dispatch on you ticket and also insurance ? I have been called out several time by the police to RTA but as my renewal licence has just been in for another .308 to be added. a condition was put on for dispatch as it was not on before. Even though i was called by police ?
i have a condition for 'humane killing of animals on my FAC. but no mention of such on my shotgun cert i am not aware if it is needed on my SG cert?

I'd go for the shotgun option too. That said, don't go worrying that the Hornet doesn't have the poke to do the job. I've dispatched Roe out to 100 yards with mine and it works just fine if you place the shot well.

I'd certainly be uncomfortable with letting a .30-06 go with people about! The Hornet bullet has a good chance of fragmenting which although no substitute for a safe shot, I find preferable in built up areas. More a case of every little helps than relying on it to break up.

Back