Thread: scope mounts

scope mounts

Hi, just wondering if someone can help me out here, the thing is my riflescope tube is 26mm and the scope rail on my monarch is 19 mm, does anyone know a maker who caters for these sizes any info would be greatly recieved?
    ATB NEIL

I would think it shouldn't be too hard finding 1 inch rings for a 19mm (nominal weaver dimension) rail.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...he_Difference_
    Last edited by MarinePMI; 24-02-2012 at 18:56.

Neil

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.scopesdirect.co.uk/prodde...od=BSAQDmountp

Note, 26mm is different from 1 inch (25.4mm). Good luck. JCS

Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    I would think it shouldn't be too hard finding 1 inch rings for a 19mm (nominal weaver dimension) rail.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...he_Difference_
    The BSA Rails were made to the Parker-Hale specs and are quite different to Weaver bases/rails. Not the same at all. 1" rings will also not fit, in most cases, a 26mm tube without damage.

LOL! ...leave it to the Brits to come with an oddball dimensioned product versus using what everyone else has already established/accepted as a standard.

This guy lists some rings (#49 I think), and he's in the UK...

http://www.emmacustomrifles.co.uk/Mounts_Rings.htm

Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    LOL! ...leave it to the Brits to come with an oddball dimensioned product versus using what everyone else has already established/accepted as a standard.

This guy lists some rings (#49 I think), and he's in the UK...

http://www.emmacustomrifles.co.uk/Mounts_Rings.htm
    Ahhh actually Weaver was still making machine screws for the navy I believe when Parker-Hale was already making the rings and bases of this design. So in facts it's the Americans that came up with an oddball design. My 1939 p-H catalogue lists the rings and mounts. I would check back further but that's the earliest P-H catalogue I have found and managed to acquire so far.

It's also funny that for years the American gun writers cried out for proper mount rails machined into the receiver then failed to embrace them when offered them and insisted on using bases and rings so actually adding a second layer of tolerances.

Oh yes and what about Leupold, who use the old Redfield Junior design of mounts?

Jaeger also had his own unique design which has fallen by the way side. Stilth mounts? There are probably others that I am not familiar with as well that have disappeared. Also bear in mind it was Americans who helped Parker-Hale vanish under the Modular Industries banner.

Touche' Brithunter!

It does seem odd how things have evolved over time, eh?

That being said, I think the weaver rail succeeded due to it's versatility, rather than have a limited amount of positioning options with traditional drill & tapped bases or even milled in rails with a recoil lug. Despite introducing yet another layer of tolerances to be potentially awry...

My comment about odd ball dimensions was made with tongue in cheek, though it is interesting how differently two countries who speak the same (roughly) language approach a solution to a problem...no?

Before coming to the thread a thought struck me.. I wondered why people do not bemaon about the bespoke rail sizes used by Tikka on their rifles.

Further to the history of it. BSA introduced their new line and design of rifle, it being the Hunter, in 1953 and that was the first time they machined the dovetails integral with the receiver as market research had indicated that is what the shooter wanted. They also sent one of the prototypes to Elmer Keith for evaluation he made some suggestions to some minor changes which were made and the Hunter was put into production .

So actually American input was sort and incorporated and still the US shooter was not happy so in the 1960's the 2nd Pattern Monarch was introduced which had the receiver machined to the same profile as the Remington 700 just so the Americans could use any type of bolt on base or mount they liked.

Brithunter,

I wonder who at PH did their market research and where they got input from the US market (aside from Elmer Keith). Perhaps, just perhaps, "American input" came from some slice of the shooting market, instead of an overall assessment from the american shooting market as a whole. Sometimes I think people forget how large the US is, and that cultures (even in the shooting world) vary drastically in the US depending on location.

Well Keith was working on the American Rifleman magazine then, or one of the technical type magazines and it was BSA not Parker-Hale.

BSA's agents in the US at least for the East Coast was :-

Godfrey Import Corporation
    261, Broadway
    New York 7, N.Y.

This is from slightly later as BSA had re-named their line of rifles the "Royal Line"

Imperial (long action) 30-06 or 270 weighing 6 1/4lb cost $127,75
    Viscount (Medium action) .308 weighing 6 1/4lb ............ $127.75
    Emperor (long action) .458 Win Mag weighing 8 1/2kbs cost $199.55

About this time period J.L Galef & Son, Inc of 85 Chamber Street. N.Y.7., N.Y. became the :-

Sole US Distributer

So one would imaging it was their agents who did at least some of the market research. Galef's were the agents in 1959 at least as I have an old advert here from "The American Rifleman"

I have another US advert sadly with no indication from which magazine or year which claims BSA had thei own corporation in the US:-

BSA Inc.
    Nutley.
    New Jersey. This advert is for the latest and finest light sporting rifle BSA Hunter short action rifle in 222 Rem with 4 shot magazine.

So i was hazard a guess it dates from bout 1954-55.