Kennel flooring suggestions?

PointerJack

Hi lads and lasses,having to revamp the kennel floor for the third time in 2 years, has any one got any suggestions for a suitable surface? I have had concrete which held the smell and cracked.Next I was suggested laying non slip tiles, which where very easy to keep clean, but are now lifting as the frost gotunder them!Now I have been told to concrete then paint with floor paint. This is for the run part of the kennel.Any ideas?ThanksPointerJack

concrete , lay it properly and with enough fall and you wont have any worries , put a good drain in and thats the end of your smell

Thanks Trouble, do I need to mix anything with the concrete or should I floor paint it to stop it soaking p**s? I hose them down daily, and have clean dogs on the whole. Last time I had concrete it bubbled and deteriorated. Cheers

Colin, don't paint it will come off! A lot of people recommended non slip tiles. I sealed mine with Thompsons waterseal but I didn't do a brilliant job with the pitch!

ok. you've seen the floor! I like the tiles I've got now as they are so easy to hose down, but they've got to come up. All the grout has lifted, letting water under them.

Concrete when mixed for outdoor animal use should be batched with a superplasiciser and an air entrainer and do not be tempted to add any excess water as the superplasticiser will make the concrete flow without the addition of extra water and when concrete has less water it is stronger and less likely to crack and the surface is less likely to flake due to water rising to the top.

That sounds good to me. I'll be dismantling the whole lot once it gets warmer and starting again. I take it this will stand up to jetwashing occasionally? I tend to hose down daily, disinfect mid weekly and jetwash thoroughly regularly.

I painted mine once but it all flaked up so now I use the stuff they seal the pattern inprinted driveways with. That does a fantastic job but it needs to be bone dry before putting it on. Quite expensive as well.

Instead of using traditional floor paint you could use a resin, applied in a similar manner to floor paint, but is much harder wearing, more resiliant and of course more expensive.

Concrete when mixed for outdoor animal use should be batched with a superplasiciser and an air entrainer and do not be tempted to add any excess water as the superplasticiser will make the concrete flow without the addition of extra water and when concrete has less water it is stronger and less likely to crack and the surface is less likely to flake due to water rising to the top.

Sorry red-dot, but what a load of pish! Portland based cement products set harder / stronger under water than they do in just the air. Portland cement was invented when they started building the London sewerage works and was used specifically because it set harder and faster under water ie below the water table.

You don't need any additive for concrete for an application like a kennel floor. A plain and simple mix of 5 ballast : 1 cement and adequate water to make it the right consistency will be just fine. I've laid 1000's of metres of concrete and apart from fibres or retarding additives nothing else has ever been added. Make sure the conc is at least 3" thick, don't lay it if the temp is likely to go below 2 degrees C and once it's been set for about 4 weeks paint it with a silicone based patio or brick sealer aka Thompsons water sealer. My current kennel floor has been laid for about 5 years since i moved to this house and it doesn't smell of p*ss and hasn't cracked.

Tom

Last edited:
Sorry red-dot, but what a load of pish! Portland based cement products set harder / stronger under water than they do in just the air. Portland cement was invented when they started building the London sewerage works and was used specifically because it set harder and faster under water ie below the water table.

You don't need any additive for concrete for an application like a kennel floor. A plain and simple mix of 5 ballast : 1 cement and adequate water to make it the right consistency will be just fine. I've laid 1000's of metres of concrete and apart from fibres or retarding additives nothing else has ever been added. Make sure the conc is at least 3" thick, don't lay it if the temp is likely to go below 2 degrees C and once it's been set for about 4 weeks paint it with a silicone based patio or brick sealer aka Thompsons water sealer. My current kennel floor has been laid for about 5 years since i moved to this house and it doesn't smell of p*ss and hasn't cracked.

Tom

agreed

mine are on a one tonne bag of sand and 15 bags of cement ....mixed and lai you crazy people. sprayed once with pva after setting and three year later no cracks nothing.
i did have a smell last year but i found out that the neighbors dog behind me was pixxing all over the fence causing it to stink.. i now spray it with water regularly and wash the fence when doing the dogs run.
f

I used to paint mine every year with garage floor paint. Looked really smart for a month or two but looked rough after a while. Did that for nearly 10 years ! No **** smell.

I'd agree with RED DOT, 3 mugs of free flow water proofer will make all the difference. If you cant leave it anytime before you need to put your dogs on it the concrete will still have a certian amount of water in it and when it fully dries out the paint will flake. I've never used it put you can get stuff to paint on before the proper paint that stops this. Concrete cracking could be the sub suface moving, plenty type sub base whacked is the ticket for a good floor.
GT

I have been in the concrete supply game for 30 years and i have read some rubbish on this thread. Concrete strength and durability depends on the water/cement ratio to attain its strength in Nm and of course Portland cement will go hard even under water but it also becomes brittle and will crack. By adding super plasticiser the mix will flow without adding water over the design mix ratio. By adding air-entrainer it will add an aireated addition to the mix to the concrete which stops cracking and expansion and contraction due to temperature. Concrete is not a load bearing matierial and should never be considered a load bearing matierial but as only a filler between a well designed steel reinforcement. We build bridges and hospitals and schools and have over 1500 mixes and are not a guy with a shovel and a bag of sand and cement.
TJWAINES.. Believe me concrete gets some plasticiser at the batching plant before you see it and cement has come on a long way since portland cement with glass, ash, and molecular re-shaping ALL added to make it flow without additional water which always when added weakens the final strength. Less water = less cement= more profit.

Last edited:
if you want bomb proof lay your concrete 50mm low then lay 50mm granolithick screed same as they use in milking parlors it puts up with cow crap & pee + hosed down twise a day 365 day a year

I'd use rubber matting, that we use on the hunt/racing yards (horses... sorry that must be like using bad language on here)... Very durable, puts up with most stuff and you can hose it, do what you like with it. Also it is much better for their joints if stood for long periods. What do I know...

Sorry we are talking about a kennel floor here aren't we? Does he really need the added expense of 2 £15 tubs of additives for probably less than a tonne of gear? And pardon me, but concrete not being a load bearing material and only considered as a filler between steel reinforcement? You try tell an engineer that, 100nm pad stones underneath load bearing steels in masonry? House foundations with no steel mesh included?

Tom

Tiled Floors

Been a tiler 30yrs if your going to tile your dog runs you must grout with epoxy grout, only grout to stand up to dog ****

Why can't you use rubber matting on a kennel floor? It works... I know it's not laod bearing or takes outstanding skill to lay. But it works boys. Promise. Not sure i'd use it as a filler or build bridges with it or anything like that. :)

Why can't you use rubber matting on a kennel floor? It works... I know it's not laod bearing or takes outstanding skill to lay. But it works boys. Promise. Not sure i'd use it as a filler or build bridges with it or anything like that. :)

Haha too true, but you do need a good base to put said rubber matting on! It's just a d*ck measuring competition really, see who's laid the most concrete. Red-dot will probably win as he's older than me!

Back