Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: stalking rights/ permissions?

stalking rights/ permissions?

it is now 2 full years since my first solo kill with my .243! i am incredibly fortunate to have the permission to shot on a cotswold estate full of fallow, muntjac and a few roe. i have been a beater for 15 years on the estate starting very young. so progression from rabbits with the air rifle has lead me to deer and center fires. but i am not the only stalker, there are a number of other chaps that shoot the deer on the estate under the guidance of the gamekeeper
    but i am now wanting to have my own little patch where i make all the cull plans and it is my responsiblity.
    could members comment on there experiences on getting permissions, plus any advice would be very much welcomed
    toby

Hi Toby,

I moved from Scotland to the North of England about 10 years ago and despite having loads of references found it very difficult to get stalking permission anywhere local. I kept on my syndicate in Fife and Beattock and have only recently got the chance of joining a syndicate in the Borders.

Getting a shoot of your own is going to be expensive, anything from 2-5/acre depending on the type and number of deer. Think yourself very lucky to have the stalking you have - keep in with the game keeper.

Willie

please dont get me wrong, im not trying to be greedy! im just wanting to further my knowledge and experiences of deer management.
    toby

To be honest Toby there is only one way to get stalking........

knock on as many farmers doors as you can, eventually one will agree. You could also try advertising by putting up a card in the local agricultural suppliers. Don't put your home number on it though as you may get the odd anti phone call

I know of a couple of stalkers that have thousands of acres tied up in their name and they will not let it go even though they never stalk it, they just cannot bring themselves to share. Does make it hard for the rest of us.

It is a very selfish act but it's happening all over you'll find!

stalking permission

[size=18]Hi there,

I would like to add my views on getting permission.
    I have been stalking for 15 years, and to be fair i have had the odd little bit of ground in different parts of the country without having to pay the landowners a kings ransome, and to be fair i have shot my fair share of deer. During my time i have done both D.M.Qs , and have also done contract work for the forestry commission in Scotland, but i am getting increasingly frustrated with posting letters, e-mails, and also putting saturdays/sundays to one side to go go door knocking like last w-end to find that there seems to be nothing left to get. I would also like to ask the question, how do some people manage to bag tens of thousands of acres of prime stalking ground like some of the adds in shooting times, these people must be paying way over the odds, which in my mind has got only 1 outcome, they are going to end up pricing many stalkers out and create a stalking only affordable by kings. Plenty more to say, but thats my gripe done for the moment, what do you guys think?

Toby,good luck !
    Just be yourself and be genuine with the landowners.don`t take on more than you can handle, and be honest with the landowners .
    I got a v one of the best patches in the country for certain species and I had a so called "friend" who I had got the permission with me, try to nick it off me behind my back,but he came unstuck as the landowner, told him to he was happy as it was,dealing with it through me.I was so lucky that I`d been straight with the farmer there ! And the so called "friend" is a leading member of a local deer management society !!!!!! I resigned as secretary from the society as soon as the farmer told me what had happened !
    As I moving away soon,I have given it to a very good friend who is a 100% bloke, he`s worth giving it to !( dont let it go to yer head Blaser 3006 !!!)
    The 3 types of "stalkers" (and I use that term loosley) who seem to have the large acreages are either, 1.folks with loads of or 2. arseholes who nick it, shoot it out (with no thoughts of management) and move on.or 3, genuine stalkers who care about management.
    The trouble is, alot of landowners aren`t too concerned with management, as the have a problem with wildlife and want it dealt with,so they have whoever relieves their problems quickest !
    In my area, it`s quite difficult to interest a farmer in cull plans, he just sees alot of deer or whatever and wants them got rid of, so, you may have to be seen to pleaseing the farmer first and operate your own cull plan quietly ,not trying to get the farmer involved with it. And as long as the farmer can see your doing something and you get on ok with him, (a joint of meat now and again doesn`t go amiss) you should be ok.
    As for the antis, I drove a cattle truck all over Europe for best part of 20 yrs and I always found the easiest way to deal with them is to ask them to explain their argument in a civilized manner..... They can`t !!!!
    all they can do is bawl and shout, don`t be scared of them, if you are, they are winning ! I`ll never let those prats win neither will I let the arsehole stalkers win either !!!!!

Bradley
    Quote Originally Posted by john.d.m
    As for the antis, I drove a cattle truck all over Europe for best part of 20 yrs and I always found the easiest way to deal with them is to ask them to explain their argument in a civilized manner..... They can`t !!!!
    all they can do is bawl and shout, don`t be scared of them, if you are, they are winning ! I`ll never let those prats win neither will I let the arsehole stalkers win either !!!!!
    I take it you met a lot of antis whilst driving your cattle truck in Europe for 20 years, then?

John you are very right, those of us who have a small bit of stalking and dont pay for it will never have the best shooting but you make what you can of it.
    Me and my mate had loads of lamping ground for years in areas with no deer, then we got one small place of only 90 acres, now within 18 months we have five adjoining farms and have shoot 11 deer off them since last october, all through word of mouth and helping out with a bit of manual labour, it can be done....

Bradley
    That is often the way.

I also think you appreciate it more. Its has nothing to do with the size of your cheque book. It has everything to do with you as a person.

There are exceptions to every rule of course.

I know of a couple of shooting rights leases that have never been sold to the highest bidder. The decision has always been made on the basis of what the individual was like.

I also know where a small patch of stalking was given to the most disreputable man you're ever likely to meet. As the estate decided it was better to know where he was at any given time, than to have to keep chasing him out of the forest.