Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moderator Muddle or is it ?

Moderator Muddle or is it ?

I have an A-Tec Maxim with a 15x1 thread with spigot, that fits on my Blaser 30-06.
    I also have a Wildcat Predator 8 for my Remmington .308 with a 1/2" x 20 unf thread.
    I have made enquiries about getting a 1/2" x 20 unf threaded section for the A-Tec Maxim to enable me to use the one moderator on both rifles but have been told that I have to get a Variation put on my FC to enable me to acquire another moderator.
    I do not need another moderator just the threaded bit . It isn't as if the extra threaded bit will mean I have more than the two moderators as listed on my FC.
    This sounds like madness to me, anybody come across it before or better still, has anybody got an answer ?

Goodness. Told by whom?

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    I have an A-Tec Maxim with a 15x1 thread with spigot, that fits on my Blaser 30-06.
    I also have a Wildcat Predator 8 for my Remmington .308 with a 1/2" x 20 unf thread.
    I have made enquiries about getting a 1/2" x 20 unf threaded section for the A-Tec Maxim to enable me to use the one moderator on both rifles but have been told that I have to get a Variation put on my FC to enable me to acquire another moderator.
    I do not need another moderator just the threaded bit . It isn't as if the extra threaded bit will mean I have more than the two moderators as listed on my FC.
    This sounds like madness to me, anybody come across it before or better still, has anybody got an answer ?
    Find a friend with a lathe?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    Goodness. Told by whom?
    Two shops that sell them and two shops that were willing to get one in for me if I got the variation, incidentally the price mentioned by all of them was the same 120.00
    Tim, At my age most of my friends are dead and any that aren't probably wouldn't be able to see well enough to work a lathe

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Two shops that sell them and two shops that were willing to get one in for me if I got the variation, incidentally the price mentioned by all of them was the same 120.00
    Tim, At my age most of my friends are dead and any that aren't probably wouldn't be able to see well enough to work a lathe
    It does sound like a very simple job, perhaps some of the more technically gifted people on the SD might be able to help?

Surely a thread converting component would not constitute a moderator for the purpose of your FAC? You surely have to get the chapter and verse from the firearms officer for this one.
    While we are on the subject, how do you stand legally if you have moderator for say a 6.5 and also swap it onto your .308 cos you don't have the cash for 2 moddies? Does the moddie stay with one rifle even if you have an empty slot for a moddie on the second rifle?

My FLD (Suffolk) was quite happy with the concept of one moderator being used on two rifles (although I do have slots for a mod for each - if that makes sense!).

My FC just states that I have two .30 calibre moderators, not which rifles they are used on.
    This talk of a lathe job, it is not as simple as it sounds.
    The first module of the moderator has an integral muzzle brake incorporated in it and the first expansion chamber, which comes back over the barrel and is held central with a delrin bush held in place with a circlip, so is quite a complicated piece of kit really, hence the price quoted of 120 !! no I do not think a normal engineer with a lathe would be able to turn one out.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    edd

have you spoken to neil mckillop,

hes one of the best engineers i know, builds rifles like you want to shoot, and knows what us shooters need,

coz hes a shooter too.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Neil might be able to knock one up, but it's unlikely to be significantly cheaper than the manufacturers own. They are set up to produce in numbers, whereas he will have to set up tooling and get the raw materials.

As for a variation for a mod being required, sounds a bit odd. As far as I know component parts are not complete mods, and it's not illegal to purchase mods either. They only become controlled when they are fitted to a weapon.