Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skinning "Tripe" knife.

Skinning "Tripe" knife.

One of the best tools I have (and there are many!) is known as a Tripe Knife. It looks like a boning knife with a blunt 'bullet' tip, and is sharp on the inside curve i.e the shortest side. The one I have is made by F.Dick of Germany, but this one is similar:
    http://www.awsmith.co.uk/item.asp?id=51591
    The bullet tip pushes with ease between the skin and flesh without damaging either, and the blade then slices open the skin effortlessly. It's a bit like a gut hook that actually works and never gets clogged with hair! It opens up leg skin so quickly it has to be seen to be believed!!

Tripe knife

Hi

Thats a good idea - I can see that it would work well, just shows that butchers know their stuff!

Daemon

Funny! I just received my tripe knife from AW Smith this morning and skinned and butchered a fallow doe this afternoon. I'm just a novice stalker but I've skinned a few deer in my time. I have to say using this knife does not half speed up the job. I'm planning to carry it in my stalking kit because I'm sure it will be the ideal tool for gralloching.

reynard

How are you going to get into the animal without a sharp tip to puncture the skin?

Once you are there fine, i can see this working, but cant see the benefit over a gut hook in the field.

Re: reynard

Quote Originally Posted by dieseldan
    How are you going to get into the animal without a sharp tip to puncture the skin?

Once you are there fine, i can see this working, but cant see the benefit over a gut hook in the field.
    The inside edge is sharpe, pinch the skin and slice it, job done!

Re: reynard

Quote Originally Posted by dieseldan

I’ve tried various gut hooks and while most work to some degree, I’ve never been totally happy with them.

Many will work fine on Roe or small Fallow, but struggle to cope with the skin in necks of rutting Fallow bucks or Red stags where they seem to clog up so to speak.

Compared to a guthook, a tripe knife is also be easier to sharpen ect.

Finally, with hooks that are built into the back of the knife such as on my Buck Vanguard, I find it tends to “catch” when your cutting inside of the carcass or coring out the anus area, especially on Muntjac and Roe..

I don’t think a tripe knife replaces a normal knife, but rather compliments it, especially in the larder when slitting open the leg skins prior to skinning… But if you’ve found a gut hook design you like and that works for you, that’s great..Horses for courses and what ever works for the individual…

Regards,

Peter

Gut hook

All very true,

i carry 2 knives a buck ranger for the tricky bitz and a kershaw with gut hook for opening up.

I scrape the skin on the breast bone and run the gut hook blade from breast to anus. this is so easy and works a treat.
    i do not open necks or anus in the field.

Rutting necks are knife killers and i cut now from inside out when i can.

Each to there own.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    As with so much on the Stalking Directory, this is a fascinating thread.

When in the field I use one of the Frost's knives - in my case with a flourescent orange handle - but back in the larder I use a Buck Skinner:

http://www.tactical-ops.co.uk/Items/...FRYiagod-3eDVg

It works a charm and, like all Buck knives, is built like the proverbial brick whatsit.

I've got a couple of knives with gut-hooks, but for the life of me I can't get on with them, very much for the reasons Pete E explains. I always laugh when I hear the adverts in the US saying that the gut hook "opens the deer like a zipper"!

I picked up a folding tripe knife off of eBay. It's a lovely piece of German kit, but because of the wooden handle it's been consigned to the 'spares' drawer.

willie_gunn

Anybody new to gralloching or experienced will not go wrong with one of these knives, once an opening to the stomach cavity has been made it would be nigh on impossible to burst the rumen or intestines as you are cutting from the inside out, commonly used in abbatiors,you will still need a pointed knife though
    NELL

whats wrong with a Swiss army knife your only cutting skin .

When gralloching a deer in the field its as small a hole as possible ,your only removing the green gralloch you could do it with a bit of glass if you had nothing else .

When skinning a beast there are very few cuts, with a knife the legs the head and paunch the rest of with your hands .

A saw to cut the pelvis and the ribs saves ,recking the knife blade.

Butchering a boning knife