Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused!!

Confused!!

Hi all probably a stupid question but !
    are the cases for .243 diferent between lapua, win and rem they look diferent . also i was looking at reloading equipment and costing this up as everyone seems to do there own, i know it is so you can get just what you want but the cases are more than the cost of shop bought amunition so i dont see the point in doing it myself .... or as usual am i missing something .
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by richard1951 View Post
    Hi all probably a stupid question but !
    are the cases for .243 diferent between lapua, win and rem they look diferent . also i was looking at reloading equipment and costing this up as everyone seems to do there own, i know it is so you can get just what you want but the cases are more than the cost of shop bought amunition so i dont see the point in doing it myself .... or as usual am i missing something .
    Richard
    Start off by buying factory ammo e.g. Lapua. once you have used it you then have a "free" case that can be reused, but IMO the real idea behind reloading is to produce something that is better for your individual rifle than the factory stuff. Costs per round fall off the more ammo that you use.atb Tim

http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/ebrowse.exe/browse?categoryid=7360&categorystring=9315+***+652 +***+670+***+9013+***

One thing to keep in mind is ammunition typically comes in boxes of 20, whereas brass comes in all sorts of quantities. Secondly, the brass can be reused, I have some Remington brass on its 8th firing. With some care, I may get 10 firings out of this brass.

Secondly, is the brass different? Yes, each manufacturer works to their own specs, tolerances and the brass itself varies.

Regards JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 24-02-2012 at 20:39.

So Lapau is the best then ? as it is nearly £2 per case , and bythe sound of it you can reload about 8-10 times
    Richard

So Lapau is the best then ? as it is nearly £2 per case , and bythe sound of it you can reload about 8-10 times
    Richard
    Lapua cases always seem to be sought after.atb Tim

As already mentioned, yes, the brass from manufacturers does vary.

I can't see the point of buying such expensive brass. I've reloaded .243Win for over 20 years with perfectly good results using Remington (Mostly), Winchester & Norma brass.
    How good the outcome of reloading is, depends on careful brass preparation as well as the components and recipe.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Yes sorry JCS they are 82p i thought they were boxes of 50 not 100
    Is there any books or sites where i can get basic knolage on how to do this ?

Yes plenty books, and also lots of information on the web though the best way is try to find someone who already reloads to show you the ropes

ABC of Reloading seems to be the base starting point but also do internet searches for the various component manufacturers, their websites often detail free info & of course you can always start a thread on SD for anything that you need advice on (there is a lot of info already on here). atb Tim