Whining below high seat.

trucraft

I was out this eve taking a friend of mines client out.
I thought I would take my young WHV with me as she had been doing well over the last year. After 30min she started to whine, not loud but annoying and little embarrassing. This went on for 20min until we shot a doe.

I have had her under high seats before not loads and not any longer than 30min but she has always been pretty good.

The point to this is how do you stop them from doing it?

I was glad that I took her as the deer showed no reaction to shot and ran into a thick area if young pine. I found hair at the strike point and sent the dog on. After a little back and forth and tangling of her line she found her first true lost deer.

All in all I was happy with her.
We are out again first thing tomorrow so now i'm really torn if I should leave her under another seat!

Take a water pistol with you. Shoot her with it when she whines. She will initially rise but command her to stay.

Forget the rifle and take her out just to train at a highseat or on ladders in the garden.

Lastly, have you considered her comfort? She may be whining because she's cold and uncomfortable - her way of saying "Dad, i'm suffering here." Take a pad or small blanket with you and lay it out for her before commanding her to settle on it.

A tip I was told was to make a slip lead from light bale twine. When you remove the dogs lead, they still have this on. When they make a noise give a sharp pull, but do not acknowledge the dog -repeat till they stop. The dog even see's a bollocking as communication, and will chance it. You could do this from base of the seat. The other thing is, the dog was rewarded for the stint at base of seat, due to it finding. Perhaps do not release the dog from the seat if they do not behave? I am by no way an expert - i have 2 dodgy dogs myself, but the whinning trick worked for me

I was out this eve taking a friend of mines client out.
I thought I would take my young WHV with me as she had been doing well over the last year. After 30min she started to whine, not loud but annoying and little embarrassing. This went on for 20min until we shot a doe.

I have had her under high seats before not loads and not any longer than 30min but she has always been pretty good.

The point to this is how do you stop them from doing it?

I was glad that I took her as the deer showed no reaction to shot and ran into a thick area if young pine. I found hair at the strike point and sent the dog on. After a little back and forth and tangling of her line she found her first true lost deer.

All in all I was happy with her.
We are out again first thing tomorrow so now i'm really torn if I should leave her under another seat!

As marrajack says use a slip lead but if sitting in the high seat it may encourage the dog to rise to a sitting or standing position as the pull will be in an upwards direction. Try using a 'corkscrew' type dog anchor point and threading the slip lead through that then up to the high seat. Then when you give your sharp pull it comes from a sideways or down direction relative to the dog so the reinforcement is to continue lying down while being quiet.

Bob

She might have been whining because she could sent the deer and this might be very hard to stop. The only way to know for sure is take her were there are no deer and sit her in a comfortable way make sure she is settle and see if she whines they you know it needs fixed if not then it was the deer and the best way to fix that is a deer farm and a high seat and let loads walk up and down. ps don't let her come with you from seat to deer if you shoot one then get off seat take her a walk and then get the deer. Association can be a real buzz for a dog.

id just take the dog for a walk and on the way round make it sit and climb a tree stay there for 10-15 mins or until you read the dog is getting twitchy then before it starts to whine come down and carry on on the walk do this as a gradual increase say every other time you do it add a min on to the wait time if you can, its all about reading the dog and knowing when to react ie. come down from the tree before the dog whines.
all the best
jimmy

I think the answer lies in your second line "young HWV". How long can a young child sit still before he/she becomes bored and starts to whine. Sitting quietly for long periods under a high seat has to be trained. Like all training repedative and often is the key. I agree somewhat with Jimmy Milnes. Take her out often, sit her under the high seat and slowly extend the period of sitting. You certainly want to be out the seat before she whines or else she will learn that if she whines you will come and release her.

How old/young is your dog?
Have you trained it to sit and stay out of your presence for prolonged periods of time,when you do this sitting under a high seat with you present or deer present the dog should be ok

Thanx for your advice, some good points I think.

Pup is 19mths. I have been training sit stay for a little while with and with out me in sight though not much longer than 15 - 20min.
I never go back to her if she whines or brakes sit, I wait for a while after.
I had a go under a seat again on sat, she kicked off after again after 20min but then sat well for the next hour. So I had another go this morn but it took less than 5min before she broke sit and started whining.:doh:

Maybe trying too much too soon.

I can usually read her and see when she is starting to fidget but not today.

I do like the tree climbing idea.

Its a Wirehaired Vis also known as velcro vizlas.
She wants to be near you.My HWV is 6yrs old and is an experienced dog.Absolutely hates me sitting in the high seat,moves and fidgets after about 40 mins. Try training in the garden with you up a ladder make sure that the dog knows that you will eventually come down.Make her as comfortable as possible.Even go to the trouble of a small hide or popup to make her feel secure.Water pistols,string trick etc will not work as it will put her off the seat.
The Hungarians start working these dogs at 18 months as they are slow to mature,do not rush her or you will ruin her.At about 2 years the penny will drop and they become scenting machines.Slowly and softly

Back