Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebarreling an already bedded rifle

Rebarreling an already bedded rifle

Hi all
    I am new to this side of the field and would like to get some solid info about this
    I am currently looking at buy or obtaining a rifle that has been bedded with thoughts to rebarreling it
    What sort of problems could / would this encounter
    Thanks in advance

No problems. Smith takes the barreled action out the stock. Does the barrel work on it. And fits it back in the stock.
    Job done a new barreled action. In a bedded stock .

Even if he has to open up the barrel channel so it can take a varmint barrel. It wont affect the bedding area.
    thats only where the action sits.

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    .....What sort of problems could......
    Stone. As in all fields, some folk are better at bedding than others. I had a rifle 'bedded' and then spent a lot of time and money trying to work out why it wouldn't shoot consistently. Good luck. JCS

Stone,

if the first, 1/2" or 1" of barrel has been bedded also, which is very common, then that area that was in contact the old barrel may need skimming and perhaps re bedded in the same area for when the new barrel is in place. only a minor job, but it worth knowing about. The rest of the action bedding if still all in good order should not need any work.

Pretty much what the other posters have said,

It doesnt matter if the rifle has been pre-bedded, although your gunsmith should check the bedding to see if its sound.

The barrel tenon diameter will usually be the same on the replacment barrel, the new barrel will probably be more concentric than the standard tube though so I would mill out the bedded tenon area and either leave it or re do the bedding in this area.

I would also remove the bedding forwards of the action face and leave or redo.

why is the rifle bedded. Bedding is usually only carried out on cheap guns. Get a good one to start with an it would never need bedding. Glass or epoxy just means cheap poor quality woodworker

Quote Originally Posted by bambi308 View Post
    why is the rifle bedded. Bedding is usually only carried out on cheap guns. Get a good one to start with an it would never need bedding. Glass or epoxy just means cheap poor quality woodworker
    who would want a wooden stock.

Quote Originally Posted by bambi308 View Post
    cooper rifles glass bed theres. and i wouldnt call them cheap or poor quality

a LITTLE knowledge is dangerous!!!!!