Thread: Need some QuickLoad assistance!

Need some QuickLoad assistance!

Ok, well I had a fantastic day at the range on Saturday and managed to find a load that was pretty much hole in hole for my 30-06

This was the hottest load of the day but was showing no pressure signs, primers weren't flattened and bolt was easy to operate, so I left the range a happy man.

Anyways I got my friend to plot the info. in Quickload and he said it's on the hotter side so I just wanted to run it by the more knowledgeable on here just to calm my nerves that this is a safe load.

Full length resized

30-06
    200 grain Lapua Mega
    OAL 80mm

VV N160
    56.5 grains
    cci 200 LR primer

Barrel length 56cm

I know it's a lot higher than the min. & max in the VV reloading manual but I found in the Richard Lee, Modern Reloading 2nd Edt. that with 200 grain VVN160 was a min. of 52.1 and max 57.6 grains.

So, what do you guys think, am I just being paranoid as there was no signs of high pressure or do I need to drop down a little?

Any advice to calm my nerves would be appreciated

Thanks!
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

According to VV's web site the Lee data corresponds exactly to theirs. No secret as they get their data from the powder makers. It is a grain under max.

There WAS a time before Quick Load and reloaders still managed to survive to a ripe old age. I'm living proof!~Muir

Andy!, there you go agi'n, makin' old fart statements........ but I do take so much notice of yours!!!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Jonher, your still on the mat with both eyes & eyebrows intact!, seriously though, you have a one hole grouping, your rifle has experienced no untoward signs, your cases are in good condition,bolt lift is good,......... Houston, we have no problems!!!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    According to VV's web site the Lee data corresponds exactly to theirs. No secret as they get their data from the powder makers. It is a grain under max.

There WAS a time before Quick Load and reloaders still managed to survive to a ripe old age. I'm living proof!~Muir
    Thanks for the reply Muir, I guess I was just being paranoid

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Jonher, your still on the mat with both eyes & eyebrows intact!, seriously though, you have a one hole grouping, your rifle has experienced no untoward signs, your cases are in good condition,bolt lift is good,......... Houston, we have no problems!!!
    Thanks, thats just what I wanted to hear paranoia has left the building!

Cheers chaps!
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Andy!, there you go agi'n, makin' old fart statements........ but I do take so much notice of yours!!!
    I old fart loudly and frequently so I guess it's unavoidable.

Funny about Quick Load. My partner has it but I never ask for data from it. Too used to the old ways, I guess. When I work up a load for an unknown, I calculate the case and bore capacities and do the math correlating any data for similar cartridges. It's always been the way I have done it. Quick Load robs the shooter of the need for any study in internal ballistics... which is nice til the computer blanks out!~Muir