Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie reloader help

Newbie reloader help

I will be be purchasing some 223 reloading gear very soon and wanted to know what die set to go for, I have seen a std set and a delux lee set of the lee dies so was wondering what to go for. Thanks for any help on this as its confusing for a newbie...

You will probably get a few replies pulling Lee gear to bits, but there is nothing wrong with their stuff, most reloaders have a mix & match of makes & brands, some do have a one brand policy, but it's purely down to choice, shop within your budget on well known names, do a bit of research on here, (As you are already!) & you will get on O.K.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

If you have decided on buying Lee go for the delux set as this includes the collet die that neck sizes only and will save you from having to lube your cases prior to sizing. The other benefit of neck sizing is that cases tend to last longer. I could also say that neck sized cases shoot more accurately but some will possibly dispute that and it will lead to a lengthy debate on that subject. I won't get into that arguement as I use both neck sizing dies and full length dies depending on the task.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

All my dies are Lee, i have used them for ages now with no problems whatsoever.
    As has been said all the major brands will do the job, Lee works perfectly for a bit less cash.
    I would recommend an RCBS press.

The Lee collet neck sizing die is about the only one I used now as it just works so well and saves all that messing about with lube and so on. I was told all sorts of stuff about neck sizing, including that it was impossible to do it for a Blaser without the world coming to an end, but my experience has been that it is simple and reliable and it works just fine in my Blaser.

One thing that is worthwhile is to lube the cone at the top of the collet with a slight dab of grease as this stops the die sticking as it can do. It doesn't take much and is a 30 second job one a year.

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    The Lee collet neck sizing die is about the only one I used now as it just works so well and saves all that messing about with lube and so on. I was told all sorts of stuff about neck sizing, including that it was impossible to do it for a Blaser without the world coming to an end, but my experience has been that it is simple and reliable and it works just fine in my Blaser.

One thing that is worthwhile is to lube the cone at the top of the collet with a slight dab of grease as this stops the die sticking as it can do. It doesn't take much and is a 30 second job one a year.
    Lee dies are fine, not sure about neck sizing for the Blaser but I might try it again.atb Tim

This is why i joined this forum as there is so many people to help out! I'm reading all i can & also looking @ as many of the YouTube videos as i can.. will order some reloading books..

Has to be someone close to you been at it a while!!!!!!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by mrgsm View Post
    This is why i joined this forum as there is so many people to help out! I'm reading all i can & also looking @ as many of the YouTube videos as i can.. will order some reloading books..
    Im in Sheff mate if you need any help or someone to show you the ropes pm me your number and I will be more than happy to help out.

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post

The only time I get this sticking is when it's been adjusted down to far. A touch of grease is probably a good practice anyhow, regardless. I'll give it a go.~Muir