Thread: De-Javu

De-Javu

Took three rifles to the ranges this Saturday,The old Sako .270 for a check zero for a visit to Devon this next month, a 45/70 shorty stainless, to shoot in with a replacement scope, kindly supplied by an SD member ,(this rifle has destroyed a Russian military surplus scope,& a red dot offering) and a session with the .17 Fireball, finally tweeked all the glitches out of the .17, the .270 was still doing the do!, but the few factory loads for the .45, made by Hornady gave me some concerns, reminded me of a bad batch of Lapua .223 I had some years ago, lots of unburned powder in the bolt raceways, appearance looked like Benchmark, still, at least they all went downrange OK!, the 400 grain reload .45 lumps were pretty good , giving average 2" destructive areas @ 100yards!.............. later at the farm, introduced the local bunnies to head shots with the .17,Mrs Finnbear's dogs are very happy with the Sunday lunch of Rabbit casserole.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Steve give me the lowdown on your problems with the fireball please and how you overcame the problem. A friend of mine bought a Remington 700 in .17 fireball a short time back and after intial working up of loads it shot impressively, then all of a sudden it went totally to pot for no apparent reason. He's quite meticulous with his cleaning regime being aware that copper build up causes great problems with tiny bores, so doesn't think that that is the problem. There doesn't seem to be any mechanical problems with either the rifle or scope.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Mike, most likely powder batch to batch probs?....... any more info on his set up?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Sorry Steve I don't have any details of the loads other than I believe that he was trying to load 25 grain bullets.

Has he meticulously trimmed his cases? My Mach IV didn't like any variation in case length. Twenty-five gain bullets were my bread and butter back then.~Muir

I would have thought so Muir he is a very careful and methodical reloader who has reloaded for a number of years and has achieved excellant results in the past. In fact he even mentioned that he had weighed his cases and batched them.