Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: H&S gone too far?

H&S gone too far?

Speechless!!! Frigging what do we pay them for?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...st_read_module

Brussels syndrome!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

As somebody who works in Health and Safety, I can only say that someone who doesn't want to do something will always find an excuse to not to do, and the right person will do the right thing no matter what.

From my own point of view H&S is there to ensure that you do the things you have to do as safely and in as well planned a fashion as is practical. The application of H&S by muppets is the problem
    .308, because if I want to watch something run away, I'll take my dog for a walk.

The right thing is always done by those that want to do the right thing!, we just don't want to be regimented!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I served for 32 years in the fire service and was involved in a number of water rescues in that time often unfortunately far too many turned out to be nothing more than body retrievals. I am aware of the potential risks involved and have to admit that sometimes we took calculated risks that were outside of standing orders but it was risks that we considered necessary at the time. Unfortunately these days the officer in charge is given very little latitude and will be hauled over the coals if he allows himself or his crew to be exposed to any sort of unnecessary risk. In effect the fire service has changed and has become very risk averse. I don’t think that I would like to serve in the service that it is today.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Mike, health & safety of yourself, was usually assigned to the guy(or gal, today), to your left , or your right,... & you reciprocated, (that's almost a longer word than wheelbarrow!), ..., these days it's an arse covering excersise, usually involving the book being passed "parcel like" to some poor unsuspecting git!

I couldn't agree more, unfortunately some people have lost sight of what they signed on for when they took the shilling.

There is an answer to all this H&S claptrap and I use it at work all the time ( I have done a personal risk assesment and consider there is little or no risk and I am going to do it MY way )
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

I can't quite agree with you there Sikadog because I happen to think that most (not all) of the H&S legislation is corect it's just that people read things into it that aren't intended or don't use even a little bit of common sense. I do however think that there are some jobs where putting yourself in the way of possible harm in order to save others is what the job is all about. The secret is to limit the risks though.

Makes you wonder what is happening, Christ in america they would be pulling them from the water no matter what!!!