My first CWD x 2, what a glorious morning......

Yesterday morning I had the opportunity (thanks entirely to David aka Max from on here) to get my first CWD, my fifth of the 6 UK species.
A 4am start from my end revealed a beautifully clear night and a light frost, I couldn't have asked for better weather for a morning on the Norfolk broads. We arrived at the farm at around 6, the plan being to sit out in a high seat for a while before stalking on foot, however on turning off the engine , straight away we spotted 3 chinkies in the field we were parked in, about 150-200m from the truck. 'Go on then' was the instruciton from David, so I hopped out of the truck, but in the time it took me to get my rifle out of the back of the truck, all three had gone. None the less I stalked the field boundary having been told there was a cover crop on the margin and sure enough, one of the three was still there.
As I got into position the deer ran 30m or so out from the margin barking, but she stopped long enough for me to get a a shot off, my first CWD was in the bag and I was a very happy chappy! it was a doe, and although I was visibly very happy I could tell David was keen for me to have a chance at a buck too cap it all off, besides, total time stalking at this point was probably under 10 minutes!
View attachment 13079
We returned to the truck with the carcass, then headed off on foot to follow a network of drains and dykes in search of number 2, after about 20 minutes of flushing noisy pheasants and mallard from their evenings rest we caught site of a lovely buck about 150 odd meters off mooching around a pheasant feeder.
He was onto us very quickly however and we spent the next 20 minutes bumping into him every couple of hundred meters, he would show himself
for a couple of seconds, then disappear into the safety of the woodland surrounding.
We broke out of the wooded area, and in the distance I spotted a buck stood by a gate, after not doing a very good job of trying to explain his wherabouts to David (there were several gates as it turned out, so my instructions weren't as clear as I thought.....) we ended up looking in the same direction, but by that time, the single deer I had seen was now 3, and they were heading our way.
I got into a good position to take a shot, the group now apparently 4, consitsted of 2 does and 2 bucks, the instruction from David was to take the one on the left, I didn't agrue, as I could see he was a lovely looking animal. I shot him around 100m and couldn't believe my luck, what a morning, a brace of Chinks, and my fifth UK species down, Sika next then........
View attachment 13080View attachment 13081
Huge thanks to David for what was an exceptional morning stalking, what a gentleman, and not a bad cook either, breakfast was the perfect way to end the morning.
ATB
Andy

Last edited:
Well done to both of you. I was down wildfowling near the Yare just before Christmas and there were plenty of CWD out on the marshes, they seem to have found the perfect habitat down there on that low ground.

Nice write up and top marks to David
What is the 6th species you are missing as I'm sure some one reading this may also help

Yes, David is a good bloke, but did you actually see him cook the breakfast or just claim he did?:-|

hope to get out with him myself down there sometime soon...

well done on the CWD by the way.

Nice write up and top marks to David
What is the 6th species you are missing as I'm sure some one reading this may also help
Sika is all that's left (not including boar and goat) might have to wait a while for that one though........good things come to he who waits etc....

A good result there mate. Tops marks to Max.

looks like he's a bit of a bruiser, is that a split in his ear?

Good going fella's as you say there are some good people out there.

Jonathon

Andy was easy to take out, in fact he spotted the first CW's as soon as we arrived on site. All I had to do was quickly point out the no shot area's and tell him "to go get em", which he did very well. The buck was the same but a better stalk and nothing for my Max to do but lick up the blood.
Andy knew what he was about right from the get go so I had no worries at all. You are welcome back anytime Andy.

One thing Wayne Davis and I agree on (and there arn't many things:rofl:) is that when we first started stalking we paid for everything, noboddy gave us stalking or helped that much so, if we can help someone then why not. Thats the thing I like about this site, there are so many like minded folk on here who are willing to help folk out who dont have there own land. Swap stalks are great to for getting to meet other site members and may it long continue.

Max

Last edited:
Cracken write up fella well done to both of you:thumb:I to have shot my first chink buck this month,last one of the six for me great fealing though!

Andy was easy to take out, in fact he spotted the first CW's as soon as we arrived on site. All I had to do was quickly point out the no shot area's and tell him "to go get em", which he did very well. The buck was the same but a better stalk and nothing for my Max to do but lick up the blood.
Andy knew what he was about right from the get go so I had no worries at all. You are welcome back anytime Andy.

One thing Wayne Davis and I agree on (and there arn't many things:rofl:) is that when we first started stalking we paid for everything, noboddy gave us stalking or helped that much so, if we can help someone then why not. Thats the thing I like about this site, there are so many like minded folk on here who are willing to help folk out who dont have there own land. Swap stalks are great to for getting to meet other site members and may it long continue.

Max

Congratulations to you Andy. I also experienced David's hospitality and it was fantastic. And David is absolutely right. This forum and the people i met so far are great. Swap hunts work out good, it is firstly the new and interesting people you meet, the new grounds you discover, the new things you learn and at last the cull you hopefully but not necessarily have to make.
I hope that my hosts can find the time to go after wild boar in my permission, they are very welcome !:tiphat:

Back