Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swarovski, S&B or Kahles

Swarovski, S&B or Kahles

I want a new scope, it's going on my CZ 527 in .22 hornet.
    I have been using a Swarovski 6x42, and recently for a change a S&B 6x42 which is lighter.
    Now having admitted to myself that more magnification would be a good idea what do I buy, money is strictly limited to
    around a 100 plus the proceeds from selling the Swaro and S&B so maybe 750 to 800, if I go with a 30mm tube I will need mounts as well.
    I have seen a Kahles 2.5-10 x 50 for sale just in my price range, the big question is am I going to notice much difference in optics quality.
    And I should say at this point the S&B is not as good as the Swarovski in that department, both are clear but the Swaro is just better, even though it is 10 years older.

Neil.

Kahles or Swarovski 8x56 are both great scopes (use both) and you should be able to get one 2nd hand for under 450 easy. Simple point and shoot with no messing. You wouldnt need much more than 8x and how many times have you thought ' damm wish i had a 3x50 scope!!!' You could also get a new meopta for that price and they're supposed to be pretty good. The Kahles scope you mention would be pretty good though.

Hope that helps

Scopes

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    I want a new scope, it's going on my CZ 527 in .22 hornet.
    I have been using a Swarovski 6x42, and recently for a change a S&B 6x42 which is lighter.
    Now having admitted to myself that more magnification would be a good idea what do I buy, money is strictly limited to
    around a 100 plus the proceeds from selling the Swaro and S&B so maybe 750 to 800, if I go with a 30mm tube I will need mounts as well.
    I have seen a Kahles 2.5-10 x 50 for sale just in my price range, the big question is am I going to notice much difference in optics quality.
    And I should say at this point the S&B is not as good as the Swarovski in that department, both are clear but the Swaro is just better, even though it is 10 years older.

Neil.
    Hi Neil,
    I would go for the Swarovski 8 x 56.
    Try http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/ he has a good range of scopes and also sells used scopes.
    He currently has a Swarovski 8 x 56 with a 4A recticle at 695.

Regards,
    Cyril

im having the same sort of dilema! and same rifle same caliber

An 8x56 was a consideration, but falls down on 2 things, not enough for 250 yard rabbits, and too much for 10 yard ones.
    My Hornet is my main rifle and is used from almost point blank to 250 yards on targets ranging from rats through corvids to fox.

Neil.

I have had all the scopes you mention, I was fortunate enough to have a pretty much unlimited access to loan scopes and binos for which I would write reveiws for Gun Mart. I would be more than happy to fit the Kahles, being part of Swarovski optics are top notch but the controls tend to be a bit more basic. In all probability you are not going to use it at less than 6 mag, but you can if need to, a big plus point.
    Your return on a very good condition used Swaro or Schmidt 6x42 would be circa 300.

Another to through in the mix is the Zeiss Classic Daivari 2.5-10x50 ?
    Anybody got one or used one ?

Neil.

I have used several Kahles scopes on rifles over the last few years. One 4x from the 1970,s was outstanding.The more modern 4-12x52 is excellent.

think about the duralyt or see what macloeds have in secondhand swarovski

atb steve

Quote Originally Posted by SussexFallow View Post
    think about the duralyt or see what macloeds have in secondhand swarovski

atb steve
    I thought about the 'Duralyt' but why go with a bottom of the range Zeiss when there is better about at my money ?
    I agree secondhand from macloeds is a good idea, but at the moment his stock seems limited at my price, 100 above is OK.
    Neil.