Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heart lung shot is best for meat hygiene

Heart lung shot is best for meat hygiene

In the latest NGO mag there is an article by Felix Bihlmeier decrying head or neck shots on deer.
    Apart from the much discussed welfare issue the author asserts that a heart lung shot and the deers' reaction, running mainly, results in the blood to be pumped into the chest cavity with the result that the meat is better as a consequence.

To selectively quote:
    "It is not widely understood (including, it seems, by most game dealers) that the meat quality of deer shot in the head or neck is inferior.
    The most important aspect of high quality venison is effective bleeding immediately after the shot, following the motto: 'each drop of blood that comes out is good'.
    This is due to the micro organisms in the blood that cause decay in the meat.
    If too much blood stays in the blood vessels everything looks fine from the outside but inside there is a problem.
    A well placed chest shot followed by a short flight and kicking has the effect of pumping most of the blood into the chest cavity.
    This cannot be achieved effectively by placing shots at the periphery."

I have been head shooting Roe to reduce meat damage to the shoulders and I have noticed the carcase blood vessels by the kidneys do still have blood in them, I think I'll have to try a chest shot to see the difference.
    Having said that I have chest shot Roe and they have dropped on the spot so I am not sure what that means for the blood, other than the need to ensure a good drainage at the gralloch.
    Last edited by jack; 26-02-2012 at 20:25. Reason: spelling

I wonder why they don't stab sheep in the chest to improve meat quality in the abattoir ....!!!

Interesting theory, i look forward to reading what other people think, im not sure i wholly agree with their theory though. i do agree that the more blood removed, the better though..

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    I wonder why they don't stab sheep in the chest to improve meat quality in the abattoir ....!!!
    Rich, they usually get stabbed the other end over this end of the woods!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

how is the blood going to be pumped out of the carcass if you have just mashed the pump?

I like to think that my intended fodder dies instantly.

I feel that a chest shot animal has had the chance (albeit for a short time) to pump adrenalin and other chemicals around its body before dying, this cant be good for a quality end product?
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Brilliant!!

finnbear your not implying thats "Where Men are Men !!! and Sheep are nervous". !!
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

I can kind of see where he is coming from about trying to remove as much blood as possible and agree that blood spoils quickly but I'm not sure about his argument that this because it is full of micro organisms! Blood should be sterile... or at least as sterile as the meat tissue through which it flows.... Otherwise it would be suffering with Septicaemia surely!?

Is it not more likely that it is due to it being oxygen rich and full of nutrients that it spoils quickly?...
    Last edited by csl; 26-02-2012 at 20:40.

Steve
    I was being serious .... But then again probably so were you...lol