Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Foxing with a .22LR

Foxing with a .22LR

Chaps,

There's 2 .22s in my cabinet, one's a BRNO with a mod on, so it keeps it's place for bunnies. However, the other one, I'm trying to find a way for it to earn it's keep. It's a Winchester underlever, which won't take a moderator. Does anyone use a .22 for foxing with stingers or the like?

Not sure if rimfire is man enough for foxing humanely, so any advice appreciated.

Cheers

SD Regular
    Would tend to agree that 22LR is not man enough for foxing - although many will do it even though not conditioned. More and more forces are accepting the other main rimfire round (17HMR) for fox though.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    More and more forces are accepting the other main rimfire round (17HMR) for fox though.
    Would actually say that more forces are saying that the HMR is not enough, .22CF or .17CF minimum. Gloucestershire took fox off my HMR just before Christmas while ticket was in for a variation. Didn't fight it too much.

i use a 22lr for fox control in urban areas but then most of my shots are 20 yrds with a full back stop placed right it is very effective .

Quote Originally Posted by baconbuttie View Post
    Would actually say that more forces are saying that the HMR is not enough, .22CF or .17CF minimum. Gloucestershire took fox off my HMR just before Christmas while ticket was in for a variation. Didn't fight it too much.
    Why do we have to put up with this sort of interference from the police, surely their responsibilities under the FA are to prevent crime and ensure public safety, I don't see what lawful basis they have to micromanage shooting activities to this degree, what gamekeeping/wildlife management qualifications does a FLO/FEO have anyway? Perhaps any police or ex police reading this could explain. atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    Why do we have to put up with this sort of interference from the police, surely their responsibilities under the FA are to prevent crime and ensure public safety, I don't see what lawful basis they have to micromanage shooting activities to this degree, what gamekeeping/wildlife management qualifications does a FLO/FEO have anyway? Perhaps any police or ex police reading this could explain. atb Tim
    I agree to some extent but the problem is often not as a result of an individuals interpretation. It is as a result of guidelines set from the HO.

You have to appreciate that those officers working in the firearms licensing department today could have been sitting working in the road safety department 6 months ago anf have no firearms or wildlife management experience whatsoever. Some may be pro shooting, others may be anti. That issue however could raise its head in all walks of life, but what is important is that all matters are dealt with fairly and in a sensible manner.

Also keep in mind that if the guidlelines are not set out by the HO and there is grounds for debate, the forces will often turn to other so called expert bodies, like the DCS (Deer Commision for Scotland as it was). I experienced their 'expertise' first hand a few years ago when applying for a pistol for humane dispatch. They suggested to my force that if I really needed such a weapon then I must be a poor shot and should not be shooting deer! Or as an alternative carry a .22RF rifle for close up dispatch... I could bore you with other ridiculous comments they made but the point is, my force sought and then acted on their advice.

The point I am making is that it would be very rare for an individual working as an FEO to make a decision like this based on their own experience or opinion.
    Last edited by jamross65; 27-02-2012 at 08:52.

Local FEO has been advocating HMR for up-to-100 yard fox control for years, when I contacted him about the FLD removal of this condition from my ticket he was unaware of the policy change. I had a discussion last year with the FLD about contradictions with the HO guidance on fox control, but at the time they believed the HMR was some kind of wonder-calibre, safer than a small CF "because the bullet doesn't travel as far if you miss". That changed in December 2011 apparently.

I've used the .22lr for fox. 25 yds headshot off firm platform and they drop cold. agree, not ideal, but if the bullet placement is right it's effective enough. had a chat with my FLO about it, he had no issues, just said: ensure it's a a short distance and a good shot, but you be the judge yourself of course.

to be honest, I don't go foxing with it, only use it if out for bunnies and charlie shows.

otherwise it's .243

if your a good shot with your .22 it can be very good but i have never body shot a fox with one out to 80yards head shots the drop like a sack of fudge. but make shore your rifle shoots stinger the best i could get with my brno was 4in at 50y

not allowed in south yorks as a fox calibre