Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer and livestock

Deer and livestock

Watching the fields around the roads on the way to work and having been out once now and a thought sprung to mind - do deer actively avoid farm livestock or are they often seen among cattle, sheep etc? Just wondered if this was a good indicator of where to find them or not to find them - i.e. if the field is full of cattle there won't be any deer, or vice versa?
    Beretta Silver Pigeon 20 Bore
    Browing X-Bolt Stainless Stalker - 30-06
    Countryside Management Diary - http://www.leagueofwrath.co.uk/cmblog/

Quote Originally Posted by adjman View Post
    Watching the fields around the roads on the way to work and having been out once now and a thought sprung to mind - do deer actively avoid farm livestock or are they often seen among cattle, sheep etc? Just wondered if this was a good indicator of where to find them or not to find them - i.e. if the field is full of cattle there won't be any deer, or vice versa?
    Roe don't like sheep.

Fallow and red seem to avoid sheep but will tolerate cattle and horses.

Roe hate Sheep some people say its the way they make the grass taste, I personally think that Roe generally try to avoid other animals they are always more skittish when around other deer/livestock.

Fallow and Muntjac don't mind the sheep.

I've seen Roe and cattle in the same field

Nothing much likes ground where sheep are in numbers. Even rabbits will leave it for clean ground if they can.

There was a red hind around here that hung out with a herd of cattle for several weeks - it even stayed with them as they were moved from one field to another! Presumably, it had been looked after by humans at some stage.

Thanks for all the helpful info folks

Just reading Richard Priors "Deer Watch" and found a section pertinent to this thread
    "Do not, however, expect deer to be feeding in the same field with farm stock. They will tolerate cows to some extent, but a flock of sheep will drive the deer right off and even though they were feeding in it regularly they are unlikely to come back to a field for several weeks after the sheep have gone again."

the fallow on my ground are no where to be seen if the cows are out !!!!!