Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning a T8 moderator with something other than WD40

Cleaning a T8 moderator with something other than WD40

Guys is there anything better for cleaning a T8 moderator than squirting it with WD40 , I am finding it takes a while for it to dry out (if at all) and also it stinks to high heaven in the house , is there any other spray cleaner you can use for this job.

Thanks
    Tommy

I used WD40 when I had mine, but also that Napier Gun Cleaner in aerosol on occasion. Not sure how effective or otherwise it was, but smelled a bit sweeter at least. Either one produced a bit of smoke on the first few shots after cleaning, I found.

Do you just strip and spray - the mod I mean

Casey Birchwood - Barricade is like WD40 and does a good job, leaves a protective coating.

Quote Originally Posted by scrun63 View Post
    Do you just strip and spray - the mod I mean
    I just spray WD40 into both ends , roll it around for a minute or two to loosen up any grit / particles then stand it up for a few days

Quote Originally Posted by varmint223 View Post
    I just spray WD40 into both ends , roll it around for a minute or two to loosen up any grit / particles then stand it up for a few days
    Not tooooooo technical then - I might be able to manage that - not like the thread i've just been reading about Optics and setting time etc - WTF !

Cheers varmint

Brief spray of Napier also works well, followed by a spell in the airing cupbord, on the side of the aga or in a radiator overnight to get rid of any moisture.

My onw T8 is 10+ yrs old and as in A1 condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
    Brief spray of Napier also works well, followed by a spell in the airing cupbord, on the side of the aga or in a radiator overnight to get rid of any moisture.

My onw T8 is 10+ yrs old and as in A1 condition.
    +1, Show my T8 the WD40 and overnight on the radiator or similar. Wipe the outside with an oily rag and pop the neoprene cover back on.

Thanks lads ,
    Thats exactly what i am doing ......it's just that wife hates the smell WD40 gives off if you leave it on the radiatoror in the airing cupboard........they just don't understand do they ! .....lol

I wash mine in hot soapy water and dry over the gas hob, then a wee drop of WD-40.