Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: t8 moderator

t8 moderator

Hi, i just heard a strange thing yesterday, that the gases from a t8 mod can have a bad affect on schmidt scopes, i am just wondering if any members have heard such a comment before?
    Neil

Well I have shot that particular combination for years ans have not noticed anything to support this statement.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

How could the gasses from the T8 get anywhere near the scope?

Dave

I know I know, i shoot that combination too, just for a couple of weeks though, i think the same as you guys but still kinda worried it knackers a bloody good scope.
    Neil

Same here, have been using a T8 and S&B on my foxing setup for 10 years with no problems. But having said that I havent ever fitted the T8 to the schmidt to see how it effects it!!!

I mean, they're miles from each other and how would a T8 possibly create different gases to any other 'over the barrel' mod ? Probably just scaremongering from someone that dislikes T8's.

Tom
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

I think that someone is repeating a story that did the rounds some years ago where a supposed secondary delayed recoil wave on rifles fitted with moderators was supposed to be responsible for damaged reticles in some Swarvorski scopes. I'm sorry but I can't remember what the outcome of this was.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Perhaps some one is of the thought that the derilyn bush at the back seals in the gasses ans a small gap could allow gasses to be deflected towards the Objective lens!

This is clearly not possible

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    I think that someone is repeating a story that did the rounds some years ago where a supposed secondary delayed recoil wave on rifles fitted with moderators was supposed to be responsible for damaged reticles in some Swarvorski scopes. I'm sorry but I can't remember what the outcome of this was.
    Yes thats the story that went about but it was any scope not just swaros, think it was just a story no more than that,never met anyone who claimed it had damaged theirs.

Fitting a sunshade supposedly stopped it from happening, maybe a ploy to sell sunshades

I think there was possibly a bit of a quality control issue with some swarvorski scopes at that time, it was about the time that changes were being made to their range of scopes. The construction of the newer scopes not being quite as bomb proof as the older models.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.