Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: wildlife and natural enviroment (scotland) act 2011

wildlife and natural enviroment (scotland) act 2011

wildlife and natural enviroment (scotland) act 2011,

So who can tell me what the effects the above mentioned bill is going to have after April 2012?

As far as I can tell out of season shooting will require the hunter to be listed on the fit and competent register.

And the second point is after 2014 the scottish goverment are to introduce a meathod for assesing the competence of every deer stalker in scotland but as of yet is not defined.

My biggest problem is a farm I get to shoot has huge problems with maurading reds in april.

So how of the track am I and what are others opinions on the how the bill will affect us as deer manages

Ali

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    wildlife and natural enviroment (scotland) act 2011,

So who can tell me what the effects the above mentioned bill is going to have after April 2012?

As far as I can tell out of season shooting will require the hunter to be listed on the fit and competent register.

And the second point is after 2014 the scottish goverment are to introduce a meathod for assesing the competence of every deer stalker in scotland but as of yet is not defined.

My biggest problem is a farm I get to shoot has huge problems with maurading reds in april.

So how of the track am I and what are others opinions on the how the bill will affect us as deer manages

Ali
    I wish I knew what was going to happen too... but...

I do know that the act says a review of the levels of competence and the effects of those levels competence is what must be carried out by SNH by 01/04/2014. That's not actually an introduction of anything yet though.

There are also the lines that state:

17A Register of persons competent to shoot deer
    (1) The Scottish Ministers may by regulationsó
    (a) make provision for the establishment and operation of a register of
    persons competent to shoot deer in Scotland;
    (b) prohibit any person from shooting deer unless the person isó
    (i) registered; or
    (ii) supervised by a registered person;
    (c) provide that being a registered person is sufficient to meet the
    requirements as to fitness and competence under sections 26(2)(d) and
    37(1);
    (d) require registered persons or owners or occupiers of land to submit cull
    returns to SNH.

Note the word "may" at 17A (1) above... I take that to mean they "may" or they "may" not. Has further information been published saying they "will"? Because I don't see how they can say that till they've carried out the review. Has the review been completed already?

I saw that "may", might as have wrote m"ay or may not as we haven't really decided yet". I guess it is also leading paragraph indicating to the industry to set its own standard, get everything in line and we won't need to set any further laws on the issue?

I guess the requirement for being on the fit and competent to shoot out of season just means I'll have to get my DSC 2 after all. It's no hastle I have the deer to shoot and the ground to do it and there is always a trick or to extra to learn although with or without dsc 2 I'm always learning. It's just the putting my hand in my pocket but I don't want to do..

It's all very much "work in progress" and was apparently alluded to at a large meeting of highland deer managers in Kingussie last week.
    I'd suggest you ask the ex-deer commission, now SNH people, in Inverness and get facts straight from the horses mouth.

Cheers Greyface, I'll do just that hopefully today or tomorrow morning. I'll let you all nkow what they say.

Cheers.

Ali

No word back from alis so here's my take on the situation. This is after a rather garbled conversation in the pub so feel free to correct me.

Some form of competence certification for deer stalking/management/culling is going to be required by this Act.

SNH are looking at getting a large uptake of people doing Level 1 DSC ASAP on a voluntary basis. This would look good for the deer industry at the end of the current consultation and would hopefully pre-empt the Scottish Government bringing in their own legislation in 2014.

SNH may make alterations to DSC 1.

SNH have some thoughts on bringing farmers and crofters (and poachers?) into the competence scheme.

DSC Level 2 would be abolished altogether but only in Scotland if we vote for independence.

Account Suspended
    They tell me 30% of the Scottish workforce is currently employed in the "Public" sector. So, I reckon anything that gives them some paper to push around is definitely staying on the table... even more so if we wind up going commando with Maximum Eck.

DSC2 Abolished??? ..... In favour of what?

Greyface you are correct about the competence in the main Lev 1 will be the standard needed to stalk and shoot deer in Scotland. Lev 2 or similar will be used to keep the public happy and will be kept no mater what happens. FCS SNH require lev 2 as a minimum and forestry companies are using it more and more.

QUOTE :- "Lev 2 or similar will be used to keep the public happy and will be kept no mater what happens."

Watch this space!. Been reliably informed that the main man at SNH for this stated differently at the ADMG meeting at Kingussie a week ago. Wasn't there myself (I'm almost retired but still potter about at the larder etc.) but heard this three times now from different people who were. Maybe it was supposed to be confidential.
    PS I do think the bit about voting for independence was dangly bits.

Well grey face if the FCS and SNH Remove the need for Lev 2 to shoot on government ground i will eat my hat sir .If it was a meeting at Kingussie why would it be a secret to much of that type of piss going about lets have it out in the open.