Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: could you train a collie cross to be a deer dog.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)

could you train a collie cross to be a deer dog.

this may sound daft,

but i have a wee collie sheltie cross (cozzy) and he has a fantastic nose. i know most dogs do but he seems to be really keen to find just about anything i lay out for him.

he is not shy with the rifles or shotgun as he sometimes comes with me when im out, and he never seems to mind.

so i did some tests a few weeks ago to see if he could find a couple of legs and i hope to take him out with some blood socked socks.

i placed the munty legs about 9 mtrs in the wood under some bramble, gave him a good old sniff of one of the other legs ( i know its not a real test) but it was just to see if he could do it. and with a bit of help from my shooting mate, we managed to find them after some pointing and hand signals etc.

you see i have never even thought of trying to train a dog other then as a domestic pet,

walk on, sit. speak, bath, grub up, dinner, and bed, the normal commands etc.

so what im asking really is this, can any dog be used if they have a nose for it or am i just thinking hes ok coz he's my mate etc.

thanks

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

SD Regular
    Bob - anything is possible - if they like working, then let them. I have a GSD who has all the markings of being a capable gundog....work that one out!!
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

hi the main thing with collies there way ahead of other breeds of dogs very clever easy to train the problem you could have is the get bored easy so if you go stalking and sit in a high seat for 3 hours your collie will lose interest quickly . But if your dog walks to heel and happy to stay there not chase rabbits or other game why not why dont you shoot a deer leave him back in the car or jeep once your sure the deer is dead bring the dog on a long rope in the area and see what happens you have nothing to lose if it works out the more you bring him the better he will get also if you use the same rope each time he should understand after a while he is going to work not play

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    Bob - anything is possible - if they like working, then let them. I have a GSD who has all the markings of being a capable gundog....work that one out!!
    Hi Si.

??? i see what you mean.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steyrman View Post
    hi the main thing with collies there way ahead of other breeds of dogs very clever easy to train the problem you could have is the get bored easy so if you go stalking and sit in a high seat for 3 hours your collie will lose interest quickly . But if your dog walks to heel and happy to stay there not chase rabbits or other game why not why dont you shoot a deer leave him back in the car or jeep once your sure the deer is dead bring the dog on a long rope in the area and see what happens you have nothing to lose if it works out the more you bring him the better he will get also if you use the same rope each time he should understand after a while he is going to work not play
    hi big man,

your things in the post

thank you for that, ill do just that, he has a we bit of training to do when im back on my feet as he is only 6 years old and needs a wee bit more training to do with respect to staying at the heal on the walk, but other than that i think the above is a good way to do it, and as you say the leader will tell him he is working not playing and he will always have a nice reward (the kidneys) when dad gets home, this time its his rewards.

thank you

bob.

A friend of mine uses his lab collie cross as a deer dog.

She does a top job.

Hi Bob
    Firstly my first deer dog was a border collie and she was very good tracking etc secondly do you want to train you dog to track on a line or hunt ? I've had dogs do both and prefer tracking on a line.
    Next time you are out stalking take a plastic bottle and funnel and collect the blood as you bleed the animal, stick that through a blender to blitz the lumps ( don't tell the what you want the blender for though)!!! And then freeze it. Tie a piece of sponge on a string and onto a 6-8 ft pole soak the sponge in blood then holding it away from you trail it across the ground this will leave a blood trail for your dog to follow.
    Start of with short trails of 20 m and then increase the distance and length of time the trail is down. Fairly soon you dog should be able to follow a trail 400m+ that is anything from freshly laid to 10-12 hrs old
    At the end of the trail put a reward so it becomes a nice experience for him they catch on very quickly !!!!
    Having your dog on a tracking line lets you control the pace he tracks at and if he comes off the trail you can bring him back easily, work the training trails together both looking for signs of hair and blood
    If you want more info give me a shout
    Trevor

Hello eggy
    Not busy today !!!!!
    T

Hi Bob
    Firstly my first deer dog was a border collie and she was very good tracking etc secondly do you want to train you dog to track on a line or hunt ? I've had dogs do both and prefer tracking on a line.
    Next time you are out stalking take a plastic bottle and funnel and collect the blood as you bleed the animal, stick that through a blender to blitz the lumps ( don't tell the what you want the blender for though)!!! And then freeze it. Tie a piece of sponge on a string and onto a 6-8 ft pole soak the sponge in blood then holding it away from you trail it across the ground this will leave a blood trail for your dog to follow.
    Start of with short trails of 20 m and then increase the distance and length of time the trail is down. Fairly soon you dog should be able to follow a trail 400m+ that is anything from freshly laid to 10-12 hrs old
    At the end of the trail put a reward so it becomes a nice experience for him they catch on very quickly !!!!
    Having your dog on a tracking line lets you control the pace he tracks at and if he comes off the trail you can bring him back easily, work the training trails together both looking for signs of hair and blood
    If you want more info give me a shout
    Trevor

As Eric says, anything is possible, I had a Doberman that loved retrieving rabbits and pigeons for me!