out of season

widows son

Heres another out of season for those that shoot hares in Scotland we now have a close season for Brown Hares and Mountain Hares

Brown hares 1st of February till the 30th September.
Mountain hares 1st of march till 30th of September.

This now makes it an offence to intentionally or recklessly kill take or injure a hare during the close season

Theres also the snaring which cam into force on the 1st of January 2012 .

Don't get caught out ignorance wont allow you to stay out of court or jail .

These are the very things the various associations and societies we belong to should highlight in there magazines and websites they run .these items have become law for a reason someone is watching are they watching YOU!!!!!

Because i am on the FC register can i lamp them out of season bob and how do i decide what sex they are. Jack or Jill:rofl:

Heres another out of season for those that shoot hares in Scotland we now have a close season for Brown Hares and Mountain Hares

Brown hares 1st of February till the 30th September.
Mountain hares 1st of march till 30th of September.

This now makes it an offence to intentionally or recklessly kill take or injure a hare during the close season

Theres also the snaring which cam into force on the 1st of January 2012 .

Don't get caught out ignorance wont allow you to stay out of court or jail .

These are the very things the various associations and societies we belong to should highlight in there magazines and websites they run .these items have become law for a reason someone is watching are they watching YOU!!!!!

White hares, why the 30th Sept and not Aug the 12th, I wonder how many folk will bowl over one at the start of the season. Bonkers!
Although hare numbers seem to be pretty low in areas and are getting a fair pasting in others, it doesn't take long for numbers to bounce back, especially if this legislation means that a few folk lay of them for a bit.
I must admit, I do miss some of the old driven hare days, especially on steep ground and a greedy first timer beside you.

This legislation may help to prosecute the "Gypsy Wedding" brigade, but in all reality it's more likely going to be a farmer shooting one in his barley.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
When did this change in the law happen?

Mountain Hare close season 1st March to 30th July according to the BASC website:

http://www.basc.org.uk//en/departments/game-and-gamekeeping/game-shooting/shooting-seasons.cfm

It up to you to check the current ,legislation it will not help you at all if you say to whoever its not my "fault" that basc has not updated there website when your holding the evidence .

If you go into the link on the other thread continue down through the legislation you'll come to the other wild life hares badger etc all worth a read .

Last edited:
I know what you mean by a greedy first timer, had just left school and was in the line next to the old stalker well
he seemed old to me at that time he was probably forty:rofl:

Hares kept breaking back in the line and he kept missing them a terrible performance from a well known clay shot
however they were not getting past me, bag was soon full, absolutely knackerd by the time I reached the standing guns.

Oh foolish youth, I asked Will why he missed so many hares him being a top clay shot and all, and them hares not
being difficult.

he replied with a smile A wisna the silly bxxxer carrying them, wis a loon.

Wildlife and Natural Environment (Scotland) Act 2011

Click the link above it will give you all the details .

7Prevention of poaching: wild hares, rabbits etc.

(1)The 1981 Act is amended as follows.
(2)In the italic heading before section 9 (protection of certain wild animals), at the end add “ and prevention of poaching ”.
(3)After section 11F (inserted by section 13(3)), insert—
“11GPrevention of poaching: wild hares, rabbits etc.

(1)Subject to the provisions of this Part, any person who intentionally or recklessly kills, injures or takes any wild animal included in Schedule 6A is guilty of an offence.
(2)In any proceedings for an offence under subsection (1), the animal in question is to be presumed to have been a wild animal unless the contrary is shown.
11HExceptions to s. 11G

(1)A person is not guilty of an offence under section 11G(1)—
(a)by reason of the killing of an animal included in Schedule 6A if he had a legal right, or permission from a person who had a right to give permission, to kill such an animal; or
(b)by reason of the taking of such an animal if he had a legal right, or permission from a person who had a right to give permission, to take such an animal.
(2)A person is not guilty of an offence under section 11G(1) by reason of the killing of an animal included in Schedule 6A if he shows that the animal had been so seriously disabled otherwise than by his unlawful act that there was no reasonable chance of its recovering.
(3)Nothing in section 11G makes unlawful—
(a)anything done in pursuance of a requirement by the Scottish Ministers under section 39 of the Agriculture (Scotland) Act 1948; or
(b)anything done under, or in pursuance of an order made under, the Animal Health Act 1981.”.
(4)After Schedule 6, insert—

Last edited:
Cheers WS,

it's never simple is it !?

Section 10A outliones the close seasons then after that there is -

Section 10B:

(3)An authorised person is not guilty of an offence under section 10A(1) by reason of the killing or injuring of an animal included in Schedule 5A if he shows that his action was necessary for the purpose of preventing serious damage to livestock, foodstuffs for livestock, crops, vegetables, fruit, growing timber or any other form of property or to fisheries.

I know what you mean by a greedy first timer, had just left school and was in the line next to the old stalker well
he seemed old to me at that time he was probably forty:rofl:

Hares kept breaking back in the line and he kept missing them a terrible performance from a well known clay shot
however they were not getting past me, bag was soon full, absolutely knackerd by the time I reached the standing guns.

Oh foolish youth, I asked Will why he missed so many hares him being a top clay shot and all, and them hares not
being difficult.

he replied with a smile A wisna the silly bxxxer carrying them, wis a loon.

Done the same!!!!

The daft loon bit that is!!!!

Back