Thread: S & B trouble

S & B trouble

hi on my small S & B scope 6x42 hungarin klassik .it has developed a small rattle in the centre of the scope it has never been dropped or banged about .does anyone know what this might be before i send it off for repair .noel

Quote Originally Posted by bignoel View Post
    hi on my small S & B scope 6x42 hungarin klassik .it has developed a small rattle in the centre of the scope it has never been dropped or banged about .does anyone know what this might be before i send it off for repair .noel
    I suspect that you've ruled this out but I thought I had the same 'problem' so I thought I'd expose what an arse I was. In actual fact the rattle was the little foot in the scope mounts that fitted into the picatinny rail. Seems bloody stupid when I think about it now, but at the time, there was a very faint rattle and I was sure it was the scope - it wasn't, I was glad, I felt stupid.

FN

Does the image go ever so slightly out of focus too? the reason I ask is that I have a S&B 8x56 and it too made a small tick sound if it was turned from objective bell up to objective bell down accompanied by it alternating between crystal clear to slightly fuzzy. It was a loose lens inside which was the cause. All credit to S&B they sorted it out very quickly and I was told it may have been caused by the moderator on the rifle. Seemingly a moderator produces a whiplash effect recoil which can damage some scopes.

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    ...and I was told it may have been caused by the moderator on the rifle. Seemingly a moderator produces a whiplash effect recoil which can damage some scopes.
    I heard this some years ago. I wonder whether it can possibly be true? It does sound rather bizarre!

Just noticed the thread in another section that appears to shoot this particular explanation down. Sorry just repeating what I was told at the time. Rifle was 22 250 so not heavy recoil by any means.

Sounds odd, but you could be unlucky and get matching harmonics which would really shake up the scope. The frequency might be such that you wouldn't feel it but the scope would.

David.

I also heard the same from a FC contract stalker. He told me that quite a few of his scopes had been damaged as a result of 'moderator recoil'. I don't know. Maybees aye, maybees no

Has the scope ever been on a spring air rifle? can do funny things to even the best of scopes that were not designed with the unusual recoil of a spring gun in mind.

hi guys thankyou for the replys .the rattle is deffo central of scope you can hear/feel it just by fiddling with it .the veiwing is perfect not affected in anyway at all .i havent had it on a air rifle at all .it use to be on my 243 .but spent the last 2 yrs on my 22rimmi .