Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: labrador pup 10 mth old

labrador pup 10 mth old

my bitch lab is chewing her way throu her kennel all the garden ornaments well anything she can get her teeth into .yet she is so gentle with game fur/feather .is there anything i can do to stop her or atleast slow her up .noel

SD Regular
    Encourage her to only chew something you agree she can. Many say deer antler is a good chew. I've found Nylabone to be not only good, but also robust (as in lasting a couple of weeks rather than a few minutes) in comparison to some of the other chew touys available.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

+1 on antler, just softer than their teeth and lasts for ages with the added benefit of some minerals etc, can't recommend highly enough, I like to give them a chunk about 6-8 inches long from the base of the antler with all the nooks and crannies the coronet has to get their teeth into.

I had this with my Lab, he started to eat his brand new kennels.

I bought some Cribox, its like a REALLY bitter paste that the horsey lot use to stop their nags "cribbing" (eating stable door).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hydrophane...item3f0772368c
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

How long is she left on her own for when she chews?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gliballs View Post
    I had this with my Lab, he started to eat his brand new kennels.

I bought some Cribox, its like a REALLY bitter paste that the horsey lot use to stop their nags "cribbing" (eating stable door).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hydrophane...item3f0772368c
    My vet, many years ago suggested I use tobasco sauce as an alternative, it didn't work, he carried on chewing the furniture, and I ended up with a spaniel that could happily stomache the remains of any curry he got his chops to, had to chuckle one day when even he bit off more than he could chew, after doing the necessary he promptly sat his arse in the nearest puddle and wouldn't move! Brilliant, we all know that feeling!

That's retrievers for you although obviously some are worse than others. I have raided the cut-offs of sheet metal from the back of the guillotine at work and folded it in half long ways to make anti-chew strips for the kennel. The kennel would be fire wood by now if I hadn’t! At about 14months old he stopped chewing. What a relief that was! Wish I had done it before I got this dog though! At least I will not have to worry about the kennel in the future though!

I did try anti-nail biting solution from the chemist before this but it made not a jot of difference!
    Last edited by baguio; 28-02-2012 at 19:57.

I tried the nail biting spray, he licked it off the wood!
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

take her with you shes bored silly

I don't think anything other than time will work! Both my labs and my Flattie chewed until about 13mth old. The only remedy was to not leave something we valued around. Some is boredom so increasing play might help. She is still developing so doesn't want huge walks yet. It does pass!!