Trophy Shields

cornishman

Having finally got something worth hanging on the wall (wife permitting as usual) where is the best place to buy a shield to mount a red royal set of antlers?

Eric

Eric

Back in the dim and distant past (when I didn't know better) I got mine from Jagersport:

http://jager-sport.co.uk/?id=2&cid=27

It has to be said that they are good, although a bit pricey. I have the only decent Red head I've shot in Scotland mounted on one of these in the kitchen, and very nice it looks too.

I was going to ask where you were located, as I've still got a couple hanging around and could have passed one over, but then I saw that you were 'cornishman' :rolleyes: If you're interested, let me know, although the postage might be a bit pricey.

willie_gunn

cornishman said:
Having finally got something worth hanging on the wall (wife permitting as usual) where is the best place to buy a shield to mount a red royal set of antlers?
Eric

How is the skull cut? I quite like the shields from Bushwear, but are quite expensive...

The Attleborough shields are good value, but Bushwear offer a bigger choice. Make sure you get the right size for the cut you decide on - too big looks silly, and too small is embarassing!

You can do the cut by eye using a wood saw after skinning out the head and before boiling. If you mess things up and the cut starts going off at the wrong angle, just turn the skull over and start again from the other side. Once the bone is dry any unevenness can be sanded down.

Alternately you can buy cutting jigs that are adjustable (ie long nose, short nose cut etc) and guarantee a straight cut but they cost, especially for the larger one size sold for red. Probably only worthwhile if you are doing a lot of heads - but why not club together with some mates and share one?

Back