Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .25-06 120gr Sierra Gameking BTSP

.25-06 120gr Sierra Gameking BTSP

Ive got the chance of 100 of these bullets at virtually a third the price they are worth.

Never having used them in the past im not sure if they are any good or not.

Anybody had any experience with them?

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Assassin View Post
    Ive got the chance of 100 of these bullets at virtually a third the price they are worth.

Dale
    Hi mate I cant comment on 120 gn gamekings, but I use sierras in my .22 hornet and my .243 60 gns for foxes and 100gns for deer and I find them superb, very accurate and never had anything walk away,obviously it depends how your rifle likes them, but I would say give them a go,I am a sierra bullet fan now having used them for a while now.

Never been able to make them group from my rifle. Just haven't found a receipe that works with 120gn bullets. Probably because the barrel is a 1-10 twist & too slow/short for the heavy bullet.
    I never got a group at 100yds better than 2" - so, crap really!
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

deeangeo - what rifle are you using & what length of barrel?

Dale
    imho i found them to be a tad soft constructed and feel it depend on species of Deer you are stalking !!!! untill the price's went through 120gr Nos Partition was my fav if i done my job touching rounds at 100yrds the other thing i found with Gameking i had far to many to be happy with " Projectile" deflection on the carcuse just what i found culling good number's of Fallow and Red

Hi Deer Assasin, I use a Blaser K95 Luxus with a 20" barrel. If you're interested, you'll see pics in my profile.

It works great with 100gn Sierra Prohunter bullets (1/4" MOA/100yds), also works OK with 110gn Nosler Accubonds & Nosler 100gn BT's (But nothing to shout about with these yet).
    I've taken many hinds & some stags with the 100gn Sierra bullets & never found them wanting...even out to some quite long ranges on open hill.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glenure 7th. Oct. '08 01a.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	727.9 KB 
ID:	13313
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Id be shooting these bullets from a 24" Remington XCRII with a 1:10 twist... will the extra 4" stabalise the bullets any better?

stalkerboydy - i would be using them on fallow & roe, how do they perform on these species in your experience?
    Last edited by Deer Assassin; 03-03-2012 at 23:05. Reason: mis-spelling

DA, I shoot a mauser action .257Ai with a 1:10 twist. 117 and 120 gn pills stabilise just fine at 3000 fps. Generally speaking the Sierra bt sp is one of the softer cup and core projectiles of the US brands in most calibres. Saying that i like them for deer as they do open up and expand rather than pencil through. SierraSPBT projectiles normally are very accurate. It should be a good pill for deer up to and including reds at all ranges. expect to loose a few jackets on close stuff though, but dead is dead.

25-06 with 120grn Gameking

I've recently sold my 25-06 A very good stalking rifle flat shooting. I used 120gr Game-kings and Remington korlokt.
    The best ever load was:
    61 grains of Hodgdon H870 (although no longer produced it can still be bought if you look around for it.) H870 is a very slow burning powder.
    I understand that vithavouri now make a slower burning powder but I've not tried this.
    A Winchester Case with a magnum primer - a fine ball powder burns better with a magnum primer.
    Set the bullet out as far as possible.
    For the Remington bullet I set it a couple of mm deeper in the case and achieved the same pattern at 100mts on the range.

This load worked well for my ruger.
    When I sold the rifle I made sure that the buyer had the recipe and the spare powder.
    Hope this is useful information.

Id be shooting these bullets from a 24" Remington XCRII with a 1:10 twist... will the extra 4" stabalise the bullets any better?

?
    NO. That's the function of the twist.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.