Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Contract Fox Charge Rates

Account Suspended

Contract Fox Charge Rates

I searched but couldn't find any relevant postings on the subject.

Now, I'm fully aware of the safety and insurance liabilties and associated "professional indemnity" policy/premium issues and I know I could just work out a reasonable rate per hour plus travel plus ammo and/or any other asociated costs. There's nothing deficient with either my arithmetic or my understanding of the concept of a "duty of care". The problem is, you can compute a charge anywhere from as little as a fiver per fox to shoot next door's foxes to several hundreds of pounds to shoot a single particularly evasive fox far from home.

However, I've had several enquiries recently and the enquirers would like me to say how much I might charge them, if I deal with their problem.

So, what do you think would be a reasonable amount to charge per fox, to shoot them?

Going on the working premise of "No Kill No Fee".

We have a "fox club" all around here and each farmer that wants thier fox shot donate 10 a year and everone seems happy with that... i personally do not charge and have shot many troublesome foxes for nothing.. but then again i love free-range eggs.

I dont charge to shoot foxes purely because i get the stalking in return.
    But,if like you i was asked to shoot them, and get paid for it, i would charge 40p/mile, and a small sum per fox killed, as above 10 seems fair to me.
    But as a general rule these days i dont shoot foxes unless the stalking goes with it, too damned expensive with unpaid fuel costs.
    Cheers
    Richard

I don't charge myself, but I do know of someone who asks for 20 per fox as a token gesture towards all the hard work he puts in.

Wow, round here I doubt many farmers would pay for their foxes to be shot and if you said you wanted paying to shoot them they'd just go else where. More a case of - go shoot the foxes for free and hope you get the stalking. Too many folks at it for a hobby to be able to charge.

If however I was going to apply a flat rate per fox, irrelevant of distance from home, say max 50 mile radius, I'd charge 50 per fox. Close to home you make a bit, further away you lose a bit. Or just do it at 1 per mile from home?

Tom
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    I don't charge myself, but I do know of someone who asks for 20 per fox as a token gesture towards all the hard work he puts in.
    I've never even thought of charging before either, mainly because I shoot on all my neighbours farms and a reduction in fox numbers there is a direct benefit to me here.

I've one near neighbour (actually a neighbour of a neighbour) who keeps and breeds all sorts of exotic fowl, he's not a farmer as such. He's one of that most dreaded breed... an "Edinburgh Lawyer" For those who don't know, expressions such as "Fancy Smanchy" and "Sharp" are usually used in place of, or as intensifiers to, the word "Edinburgh", in this context, even though it's also geographically correct. Actually he's a really nice guy and... a handy vermin magnate to boot. His ground is easy to shoot safely too, which all helps. Because of helping him out the word has spread to other "non-farmers", some not even very close to my home. They're mostly "goodlifers" (if that expression doesn't offend) with half a dozen hens and a pet rabbit or two for the kids. I KNOW that to shoot on their ground I'll probably wind up needing permission from their neighbours too and better ass covering insurance etc, etc .. than my humble BASC membership cover gives at the moment. Quite frankly, It may all be far more bother than it's worth. So, I wondered about going for a flat rate of 50 per dead fox. Does that sound excessive under the circs?
    Last edited by Tamus; 29-02-2012 at 14:12. Reason: magnate is right, but magnet is what I meant:-)

So, I wondered about going for a flat rate of 50 per dead fox. Does that sound excessive under the circs?
    Not to me, but then i take the view how much damage could one fox do in one night ?

Ok a pen full of poults is worth more than a few chickens, but you have to factor in sentimental value too. Especially if it's the kids pet etc.

I don't see 50 as to much per dead fox when you consider all the costs incurred, rifle,ammo, lamps,vehicle, fuel, insurance, time. The big question is will a farmer pay that when Jimmy down the road wil do it for nothing.
    Al

I've shot foxes for over 20yrs no farmer i know would pay to have them shot as said before to many people shoot them as a hobby,wish they did i've shot 14 this week all Vixens. atb Ed

Tamus if i am getting something in return like deer stalking then there is n ot cost and i explain this to the landowner. But if it is a one off and i am only there to sort a problem i charge 30 call out and 20 per fox shot,You will normally only get called out if there is a real fox problem so you can make ok money.