Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this mange?

Is this mange?

I shot three foxes last night - one of them had a massive bald patch which didn't have the characteristic look of mange. But I don't know what else it could be... I'd therefore be most grateful for expert opinion:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...P2281236_a.jpg
    http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...P2281237_a.jpg

It's very rare indeed for any foxes out here to have any such afflictions. That, and the fact that we've suddenly had an influx of previously unseen foxes leads me to suspect that the rumour of a recent animal charity release is correct...

As ever, any help would be most appreciated!

Looks like it to me, was it anywhere else on the fox?
    Quite often they get it on their tails.
    I hope you washed your hands after!
    Cheers
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    Looks like it to me, was it anywhere else on the fox?
    Quite often they get it on their tails.
    I hope you washed your hands after!
    Cheers
    Richard
    Thanks for your comments, Richard - there were no other signs on it that I could see. Oh - and there was no need to wash my hands as I made sure not to touch it!

Doesn't look like it to me. Too clearcut demarcation between normal coat and affected area, possibly a healed up wound or skin infection.

IMHO Dama is correct, it looks in good condition other than that one patch.
    Normally the coat is thin or at least no shine to it.

That looks to be in quite good condition, whereas with mange they would have lost a bit of condition.

I think it looks more like skin that has healed after a nasty trauma.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Agree, looks more like a healed injury of some kind, the condition otherwise looks OK. Is it possibly being hit by a car?
    M

Thanks chaps - as I said in my original post, I think the fox was released by one of the usual suspect charities, and thought the bald patch looked like something - be it mange or something else, that had received treatment from a vet. As was said above - the fox was otherwise in excellent condition - until I came along!

When i used to shoot a lot of foxes i came across mange in varying degrees of infestation (especially around the Manaton area on the edge of Dartmoor), more often than not the tail was badly infected, thats why i asked the question, but i have come across them like Paddy found, but the only way of finding out is to do a scrape, or if Paddy gets a little area of small red itchy spots appear between his fingers and then track up his arms we will have the true answer!
    Cheers
    Richard

burry or burn it to be safe