Thread: Dorset trip

Dorset trip

Hi All

I thought I’d share a recent hunt with you.

Long story of how it came about but to give you a rough idea last year I introduced my German friend (Michael) when he was over Roe stalking to an English friend of mine who is a pro stalker in Dorset and after doing him a good turn received an invite to come over to England and hunt with him.
    So eight months later I was collecting Michael from Birmingham airport, we travelled straight to my Muntjac ground and met Andy there.
    We sat up a seat for the last hour we had a doe and a buck walk right under the seat but too close for us to get a shot. Andy had also seen an animal but couldn’t get a shot so we headed back to mine for a Chinese and a few beers before bed.
    The next morning we didn’t hunt as we were travelling down to Dorset and I had to call and collect my new rifle (that’s another story already told).
    We arrived in Dorset about 1.30pm and were greeted by my friend Paul and his lovely wife, after a coffee we made ourselves at home and got our gear ready for the evening.
    In the evening Paul directed me to a seat and took Michael on a short stalk, I hadn’t been sat long when I heard a shot from their direction “great”. We were only staying here for a short while before moving to another area for the last hour or two so I got down the seat and headed back to where we had left the truck on the way seeing two bunches of Sika which had obviously been bumped out by Paul and Michael, the first group were shootable but all stags and we were just after females the second bunch were hinds but all sky lined “typical”. I met Michael and Paul back at the truck they had shot a Sika hind so Michael had got his first English Sika.
    We travelled a short distance and Paul again gave me directions to a seat on the way I saw two nice Roebucks and a Roe doe again in a unsafe position., As I approached the seat there was a large Sika stag feeding about 100 yards from the seat due to the flatness of the ground I had to get to the seat to get a safe shot at anything coming out so I had no option but to scare the stag on my approach, amazingly enough he just trotted off and when I’d been in the seat about a minute he walked back out and stood watching me for a few minutes before retreating back into the wood, somebody must have told him we weren’t shooting stags. As the light faded about eight Roe appeared from various corners of the large field but all too far from my seat. I walked back to meet Paul and Michael who again had been lucky shooting a Roe doe great start to the weekend. We dined with Paul and had some wonderful Sika fillet expertly cooked by his wife.
    Next morning we were out again, Michael was with Paul again and I was to go with the Sd’s very own “Lakey” .
    We stalked scanned some open fields at very first light to try and catch some Sika out but not much moving so we headed into the woods and had a good stalk on some Roe but they got the better of us, so we headed back for breakfast.
    When we got back Michael and Paul were not far behind us they had been up on the downs and had shot a Roe doe.
    After breakfast we helped Paul to get a couple of new high seats out and then back for a quick coffee before we headed out again.
    Again I was with Lakey and Michael with Paul. Not far into my stalk we were spotting Roe and after dropping into a long narrow strip of woodland it wasn’t long before Andy spotted a group in front of us, after a short wait a young doe presented a shot which I took all seemed ok but she had made a dash until out of site but after following a short blood trail we found her in some thick cover.
    We continued our stalk heading for a lush green little meadow Lakey said we should be at towards last light. As we approached me just bumbling along behind letting Andy do all the work which is a nice change for me, Andy spotted another doe so up on the sticks and doe number two in the bag, great stuff!! As we approached the doe we were aware that there were still three deer happily feeding in the field not 100 yards from where she dropped amazing but getting too dark now to ID them so we left them in peace.
    We met up with Michael and Paul and they had taken a doe fawn so another successful evening all round.
    Back to Pauls for a shower before hitting the pub for a meal.
    Sunday morning we were out again this time Lakey and I were straight into a group of Sika feeding on a maize stubble we had a cracking stalk which involved crawling though a muck heap, which I knew Lakey would end up making me do as soon as I spotted it By the time we were in position they were feeding away from us but eventually one gave us a broadside shot which I took and she fell after a short run. The others headed over the hill and a few minutes later we headed after them to try and head them off, Andy had a good idea where they were heading and he was right they were just about to enter the wood as we crested the brow so I was down on the bipod and hind number two was in the bag.
    By the time we had dragged and gralloched the two hinds we had a chance for a short stalk in a wood seeing a nice Roebuck and then a doe which was a bit far for me off the sticks and I didn’t want to end a great morning by making an arse of the shot so I let her walk.
    Paul and Michael had got into a group of Sika but had come away empty handed so all back for another full fat breakfast.
    After breakfast we said our goodbye’s and headed back to Herefordshire getting home just in time to head out for the last hour on the Muntjac.
    We sat up a seat in a wood close to home seeing a mature buck on last light but he got our wind just as he was getting into a suitable position bugger!!!!
    Next morning we were out on the Muntjac again on my main ground sitting up a new seat which I had very high expectations of but all we saw was a Roebuck. I changed to plan B and we had a good stalk to a “hotspot” but again nothing moving we bumped one out of a holly bush which Max had indicated and as we stalked around he indicated a few more times but in areas where they were probably lay up so that was that a quiet end to a great weekends stalking.
    Unfortunately I forgot to take my camera out with me but Lakey saved the day and took one of the Sika.

No photos of Michael because he hasn't got around to sending them yet if he does I will add them.

Cheers to Paul and Lakey for a great weekend (again) and I hope to repay the kindness on the Muntjac sometime.

Wayne

Looks like you have it all there, even got the sun on the back of the neck.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Nice account of your break Wayne. Great to see stalking exchanges being done from one part of the country to another. Well done to Paul and Lakey

Nice one Ninja

Thats some fine company you were in..

Im hoping to have some work done by Paul after getting back with Charly

Hopefully ill be working near you this year and maybe have a catch up, been a while mate

Atb

Terry
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Hi Wayne,

Great couple of days we had, and congratulations on an awsome shot on that first hind of the pair. Sorry I had to make you crawl through the muck pile, but it was the only way! At least it was the dry end, I noticed it was still wet and steaming at the other end

It was great taking you out and about and I would love someday to take up your offer of a trip to yours after muntjac.

See you again soon

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by pheasant sniper 1 View Post
    Nice one Ninja

Thats some fine company you were in..

Im hoping to have some work done by Paul after getting back with Charly

Hopefully ill be working near you this year and maybe have a catch up, been a while mate

Atb

Terry
    Hi Terry
    No prob mate you know where I am your always welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Hi Wayne,

Great couple of days we had, and congratulations on an awsome shot on that first hind of the pair. Sorry I had to make you crawl through the muck pile, but it was the only way! At least it was the dry end, I noticed it was still wet and steaming at the other end

It was great taking you out and about and I would love someday to take up your offer of a trip to yours after muntjac.

See you again soon

Andy
    Thanks Andy, I was waiting for you to say you will get a better shot off the top of the big steaming pile

Nice read Wayne. Thx for sharing.

Nice one guys.

Good account mate, some nice ground to stalk by the looks of it.

Next time your down take the stock box with you and bring some of them buggers home with you

Catch up soon

Jon