Holey cow!!!! 3 months

Geordie_3

Just realised that I have 3 months till my last day in the RAF after 22 years. That's a sneeky little bugger, crept up on me.

Looking forward to it but scared sh$£tless at the same time, not got a guaranteed job or a house to live in yet. Been applyng like mad though.

Looking forward to it but scared sh$£tless at the same time, not got a guaranteed job or a house to live in yet. Been applyng like mad though.

i wish you all the best with it bud

done the leaving bit way back in 86 and it was not to good then, and now's a darn bit harder.

atb

bob.

Blimey, is there still a Royal Air Force? After ditching the Harrier force and handing over Nimrod MR4 to some dodgy scrap dealer I didn't think there was anyone left. After 22 years of good and faithful service can you turn the lights out when you leave? Thanks.:stir:

Nothing to be scared about although the thought of the unknown can put you on edge a little. I know first hand as I left the RAF a few years ago but I was no where near your 22 years of service, you old fart :D.

A lot of the traditional LSL jobs are getting cut under the current climate, NRPS might be the way to go with the expansion of the TA

Dave

Blimey, is there still a Royal Air Force? After ditching the Harrier force and handing over Nimrod MR4 to some dodgy scrap dealer I didn't think there was anyone left. After 22 years of good and faithful service can you turn the lights out when you leave? Thanks.:stir:
Don't you just hate **** taking pongos???It could be worse, I think there are still enough in the RAF for it to keep it's name , unlike the Army (or soon to be British Defence Yeomanry)
Nothing to be scared about although the thought of the unknown can put you on edge a little. I know first hand as I left the RAF a few years ago but I was no where near your 22 years of service, you old fart :D.
Old fart, that's me!! I think it does boil down to not knowing about the job or housing situation. I feel that it'll fall into place as time goes on, but right now it's scary.

Don't you just hate **** taking pongos???It could be worse, I think there are still enough in the RAF for it to keep it's name , unlike the Army (or soon to be British Defence Yeomanry)

You Pongos and Crabs don't have it any better than us, the Navy is now the most heavily armed fishery protection force in the world. Although we (might) have a Cruise Missile aimed at the Argentinian President's Shed...

We're all just the f£%king armed wing of the Red Cross now anyway.

From a jaded submariner.

You Pongos and Crabs don't have it any better than us, the Navy is now the most heavily armed fishery protection force in the world. Although we (might) have a Cruise Missile aimed at the Argentinian President's Shed...We're all just the f£%king armed wing of the Red Cross now anyway.From a jaded submariner.
I thought that you were down to 2 canoes and a row boat with a GPMG

Pretty much, them and the Submarines don't need diesel which we can't afford anymore.

Saying that, are you guys not just a glorified budget airline with a very limited list of destinations these days?

Pretty much, them and the Submarines don't need diesel which we can't afford anymore. Saying that, are you guys not just a glorified budget airline with a very limited list of destinations these days?
Yep that about covers it, though you have to include the glory boys (fighters). It's a gloryfied flying club run by and for the officers.

Pretty much, them and the Submarines don't need diesel which we can't afford anymore.

Saying that, are you guys not just a glorified budget airline with a very limited list of destinations these days?

You should have joined when they were needing then not feeding them .
The changing face of the world, we need national service bigger pot to pick from when man power is required .

Yep i've got 33 days to go :eek:
24 YEARS on submarines and i'll have to get a proper job!!!

Daz

For you ex-forces boys looking at jobs, don’t forget the oil & gas game, plenty of opportunities to be had for the right people

Many of the best trainees and new starts I get are ex-forces, most have a very good level of training (mainly RAF & Engineer types with elec, hydraulic or mechanical bias) and the right attitude to work which is refreshing and soon gets them down the progress path

Some of the well paid “experienced “muppets I’ve had working for me over the years are often shown-up by new starts, and dare I say it “older”, ex-forces types who accept, yes, they no longer have the rank, but have a much better work ethic and general attitude to wanting to learn, progress and make a decent living.

The offshore life just isn’t attracting the right people these days, not many young lads want to be away from home and the thought of a 6 week trip of 12 hour nightshifts in an African country would have them running back to their mammies greeting their beads oot.

Again, time away and travel is water off a ducks back to many of you guys, that’s another reason why you’ll fit in.

I started relatively young in the offshore world after completing an onshore based engineering trade apprenticeship, but was hungry to travel the world, work hard and make some cash too, best move I ever made.

Anyway, i digress & sorry for the mini rant :D but.... don’t discount oil and gas work if your leaving the forces gents, get the homework done and start letting companies know your available

Good luck to you

Rb

I got a job offer yeaterday from my first interview. Teaching appo's in Cumbria. Well chuffed! Still got some irons in the fire and things to chase, but it's great to have a job to go to.BIG SMILES

I got a job offer yeaterday from my first interview. Teaching appo's in Cumbria. Well chuffed! Still got some irons in the fire and things to chase, but it's great to have a job to go to.BIG SMILES

Nice one Geordie, hope it all works out mate!!

Back