Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Camouflage?

Question Best Camouflage?

Seeing a couple of discussions on camouflage jackets are on here already, and it looks there like camo has both it's believers and sceptics, what does everyone think is the best camouflage and for where?

I've just bought a German Army (Flecktarn) smock for woodland stalking, partly as I'm too poor at the moment to buy a more gucci, bona fide stalking jacket, and I'm curious about what to do if I do decide to upgrade.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by dingwall_dave View Post
    Seeing a couple of discussions on camouflage jackets are on here already, and it looks there like camo has both it's believers and sceptics, what does everyone think is the best camouflage and for where?

I've just bought a German Army (Flecktarn) smock for woodland stalking, partly as I'm too poor at the moment to buy a more gucci, bona fide stalking jacket, and I'm curious about what to do if I do decide to upgrade.

Any thoughts?
    Flecktarn is brill for conifer forest and cuts the mustard in normal broad leaf woodland too. Not the best on open ground but still has "break up". There are many opinions on the camo issue, mine is simply I believe the animals notice the lack of contrast more than the camo, hence drab colours not clashing with a background working too, or even light colours against a light background (dried fern etc).

Where to go next when you have money? Pass. I never will have unless I win the lottery, and whilst I haven't been stalking long I've been shooting for 30 yrs and have always used british camo and more recently Danish.
    .243 Weatherby Vanguard Synth /.223 BRNO CZ527 Synthetic
    .22LR CZ 455 Synth / 12G Stoeger 2000 / 12G U/O Bettinsoli
    12G Zoli SBS / .410 unknown Italian

cammo is for pigeon shooters and daylight foxers. Plain green is fine for most uk/european hunts.
    on driven hunts i wear blaze orange and have deer and pigs come within feet off me without spooking.
    this guy shot this with a shotgun and slugs on the next peg to me on saturday (in france) i saw him do it, it was 15-20 ft off him,

Quote Originally Posted by widu13 View Post
    Flecktarn is brill for conifer forest and cuts the mustard in normal broad leaf woodland too. Not the best on open ground but still has "break up". There are many opinions on the camo issue, mine is simply I believe the animals notice the lack of contrast more than the camo, hence drab colours not clashing with a background working too, or even light colours against a light background (dried fern etc).

Where to go next when you have money? Pass. I never will have unless I win the lottery, and whilst I haven't been stalking long I've been shooting for 30 yrs and have always used british camo and more recently Danish.
    Ditto on the Danish Flectarn much greener.

I like my Danish flecktarn too, but I agree with YRS that camo isn't necessary for stalking. Silent fabrics, natural tones (not necessarily colours), comfort and practicality are all more important.

the best camoflage = staying still

Think the best is what ever gives you the most confidence and comfort.
    The link below is to an American manufacturer that had a very good review in NZ Hunter (Greg Duley) on the cut and design of the clothing as well as the interesting pattern and concept too.........

http://www.sitkagear.com/system-generator.aspx

Regards

BP

You took the words right out of my mouth well keyboard.

I am all ways amazed just how well a persons face stands out, the same goes for hands.
    So I always like to wear a thin pair of gloves or a jacket with fairly long sleeves, and a cap with a good brim.
    It just puts your face into a bit of shade.

I know of someone who got a set of wetlands cammo, the light yellow reed pattern, my mate who was duck shooting with him said as it got darker he just stood out more and more. A bit like glow in the dark.

I am sure you could end up with cammo for every season we have, and then some.

Quote Originally Posted by mudman View Post

Mudman has suplied the best/correct answer , if your fieldcraft is good then you won't have many problems , my opinion on the subject though is that DPM is as good if not better than anything on the market , also very hard wearing......and much cheaper !

Agreed. You could be wearing a ghillie suit but if your drills are crap it wouldn't help. I love DPM for the cost and hard wearing.
    .243 Weatherby Vanguard Synth /.223 BRNO CZ527 Synthetic
    .22LR CZ 455 Synth / 12G Stoeger 2000 / 12G U/O Bettinsoli
    12G Zoli SBS / .410 unknown Italian