Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stalking in march

Thumbs up Stalking in march

Hi all

I have just been reading an article in aprils edition of sporting rifle.

The article was a about not stalking in the month of march for roe doe, and the fact that many think we should not be shooting them in this month as they are very active at this time of year as most will be so close to dropping this years young. And as winter is almost over by then that they will also be very hungry and on the move more looking for food.

It suggests that the traditional month off in march was essential to predictable deer management, allowing one to take stock and undertake the annual census.

Could allowing this to carry on have irreversible effect on future roe numbers.

really I just wonted to no what other people thoughts are on this for me after reading the article I will not be shooting roe doe in the month of march.

regards
    Craig
    “Persistence. Perfection. Patience. Power. Prioritize your passion. It keeps you sane.”
    ― Criss Jami

I stopped culling this past weekend. Total for the weekend was 4 Sika hinds and 3 Roe doe's in 4 outings. I am personally not keen on taking Roe doe's in March, although further north (ie Scotland) the long winters can play havoc with the cull plan, thus meaning some stalkers having to push their Roe doe cull into March.

I cannot see the season being changed again as the government are asking for more deer to be culled. However there are many areas of the UK devoid of any deer what so ever, and I am sure some of the big organisations would certainly raise their voices if the idea was raised about putting the season back.

I think it is a decision that can only be made by the stalker in his/her area, all area's are different.
    On a personal level i would rather shoot a pregnant doe/hind than to shoot it on November 1st with a dependant that is going to struggle or starve to death without its mother.
    All years are different, if i see the young still dependant in November i will delay the cull until December, in fact my friend delays his every year until the new year, but then that is getting a bit too late in my opinion.
    Cheers
    Richard

If it needs to be done for the correct cull to achieve the aim then it has to be done. The extra month just allows for difficulties in achieving the cull in the preceding months, I don't think the average stalker/deer manager will take additional deer just because he can legally, we are not stupid. As for the 'heavily pregnant' argument, it may not be the nicest thing to do but those of us who have to control muntjac deal with that issue all year round.

The majority of my Roe doe cull is in February March, due to game shooting taking place on the land I stalk for Roe
    I cant start culling doe's until the game season is finished.

The amount that I need to cull means shooting right on to or close to the end of March.

I find it very easy to have my planned cull done by the end of feb and if for any reason weather or illness i was getting behind in my cull i would get some one to help .There are plenty out there that will help if you really need it. The season for us starts at the end of October and with selective culling at this time there should be do problems with leaving dependants. I have already took out of Does some sizable fetus and i might be imagining it but the greening of the shrubs seems to be early this year. Shooting does well into march is like fishing in a barrel and very unsporting.

Hi all

I would just like to thank those who posted as it was more of a interest thing for me, on what other peoples views was on this topic.
    As this is my first season for deer managment.

Regards
    Craig
    “Persistence. Perfection. Patience. Power. Prioritize your passion. It keeps you sane.”
    ― Criss Jami

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    Hi all

I would just like to thank those who posted as it was more of a interest thing for me, on what other peoples views was on this topic.
    As this is my first season for deer managment.

Regards
    Craig
    Hi Craig, are you aware that the extended season (March) is fairly new....

I only cull last years kids in March, don't touch the older (pregnant)

I wouldn't care to shoot Does for sport in March but if I had to cull as part of a management plan this would be a different matter. atb Tim