Testing a S/H Scope

a1baz

Evening all!

I bought a leupold mk4 8.5-25x50 off eBay from a guy in Poland the other week for a really good price (I imagine a lot of bidders would have been put off by the fact the guy was in Poland). Anyway, cosmetically it looks spot on and I'm planning on shooting it this weekend.

I was wondering whether anyone had any suggestions for any tests I can do? I was thinking of zeroing with 55 gr and then switching to a different weight, counting the clicks required to zero and then switch back to 55 gr and take off the clicks and see what happens.

I might not be able to get hold of different weights but suppose I could try the same sought of thing but changing the distance rather than bullet weight.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Shoot the box. Set up a good size card at 100yds, put a dot at lower left hand side shoot a group centred on the dot. Dial up at least 10 MOA (20 would be better) the bigger the card the easier the task. Shoot a second group aiming at the original point of aim, shots should print high as per new scope setting. Leave elevation turret alone dial windage across to the right the same distance as original elevation. Still aiming at original point of aim shoot another group. Then dial down the MOA originally dialled up leave windage turret alone shoot another group still original POI. Finally dial in windage to original setting and shoot another group this if all is well with the turrets land on your original group.

Ahhhh that is a standard scope test ;). It's even mentioned in several scopes tests in magazines when they bother to actually test a scope that is instead of just ooze praise all over it to get the ad revenue in :banghead:.

Baz,

The above is sometimes called "shooting round the square". It is a very good test.

The other test I'd suggest is to put the scope in your fridge for a good few hours until its cooled right down. Then take it out into a warm room or airing cupboard. If the seals have gone and air / moisture has got in the scope it will fog up internally straight away.

Cheers,

Bob

Baz,

The above is sometimes called "shooting round the square". It is a very good test.

The other test I'd suggest is to put the scope in your fridge for a good few hours until its cooled right down. Then take it out into a warm room or airing cupboard. If the seals have gone and air / moisture has got in the scope it will fog up internally straight away.

Cheers,

Bob

Nice one Bob, I like it!

Back